BC Boards

Looking for Farm Vet new Newnan Gerogia

jvw

My brother has started raising goats on his small farm. He desperately needs a farm vet. He tried calling one and could not get a return call. I realize large animal vets for sheep and goats are becoming harder and harder to find. But I would appreciate any help if anyone has any contacts!

He lives in Newnan Georgia, which is south west of Atlanta.

Feel free to contact me privately if you are not comfortable posting it here.

Thank you so much!

He can always call Pipestone Vet clinic in MN. They specialize in sheep and goats are great when you call and will talk you though lots of problems. I do not have a large animal vet close - withing 2 hours - that treats sheep so it ME or nothing. Even finding one to look at the horses is getting more difficult.

Could he call local small animal vets and see if anyone can recommend large animal vets (or would be willing to treat a goat)? There's bound to be more than just the one he called. But he should be forewarned that many large animal vets are not very knowledgeable about small ruminants (he may have better luck with someone whose practice includes cattle vs. an equine vet). Is there anyone nearby who also raises goats? He could ask at his feed store, or the person he got the goats from. Generally just having a mentor who has raised that type of livestock can be invaluable for most issues.

The other thing he will need to consider is whether it's worth the cost of a farm call. Where I used to live, the vet charged a flat $100 for the farm visit, plus mileage. And that was before he even looked at an animal. That said, I have a friend who simply transports his goats TO the vet. So he might be able to find a vet willing to look at/treat goats if he's willing to take them to the practice.

J.

Valley Veterinary Association in Pine Mountain GA and Hendricks Animal Clinic in Shiloh GA would be good places to start. Both services are familiar with treating goats. As mentioned in an earlier post, it is not uncommon for goat owners to bring the goats to the clinic and save a farm call fee.