Meet The Gruffalo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kjsrjb

kjsrjb

• Registered Users
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.34.31 AM.png   1.08MB   71 downloadsAttached File  Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.34.18 AM.png   857.38K   80 downloadsAttached File  17622059_10102819702370873_7868354971043667956_o.jpg   101.54K   74 downloadsAttached File  17761051_10102847876320053_5422520360399129884_o.jpg   90.4K   56 downloads

Hey all!

Our family has been on the lookout for a more active/high energy breed. Turns out our wiener dogs are great heating pads, but not great for hiking, dock diving, jogging, frisbee, etc. We recently adopted our pup The Gruffalo at 8 weeks and were told she's a border collie/german shepherd mix. What do you think? 

She has the absolute gayest tail I have ever seen, curls completely around her back unless she is sleeping or resting. I really haven't seen any tails like this on BCs, although I've seen everyone talk about how their pups will have happy tails when playing, they aren't curled around like a pig. On a few occasions I've seen her drop it down BC style: when attacking a stick at the river (pictured at 11ish weeks) and a few times when she was seemingly herding my children in a field at the park or playing with other dogs. 

She's very alert, learned a handful of commands the first week we had her home, and relatively independent. We live across the street from a park with a large green space, playground, and basketball courts, and she is content to sit up in the middle of the field with perfect posture and watch what everyone is doing---we can see her track every sound and movement. She's not snappy or reactive, but she's content to sleep on her own and doesn't try to get up and cuddle with us when she's relaxing. To me, this is uncharted territory after every other animal I've ever had has been a codependent cuddle monster. She reminds me of my now 6yo son whom I desperately tried to force into cuddling with me as a toddler: he'd humor me for a few minutes and then stretch and leave my lap but stay nearby. 

Lastly, she seems to be on the small side for a dog that is supposedly a BC/German Shepherd: She was around 6 lbs at 8 weeks and 10 lbs at 12 weeks.

Anyway, I'm curious what the BC experts think---is our lovable new frisbee companion a border collie?

#2 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Our guess is as good as the rescue/shelters. Unless they saw dam and sire, we can only guess like they do based on appearances. And appearances can change a lot as they grow and mature.

He is so adorable and I would believe he was collie/shepherd mix if you told me. Either way I would treat him like any other dog, since that's what he is at the root of it! :)

#3 MollieMae

MollieMae

• Registered Users
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Very cute puppy!

#4 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,059 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Cute puppy! But neither border collies nor German shepherds have tails that curl around tightly like that, and the size being so very small makes me think that the shelter was just taking a wild guess, as they often do. It seems more likely that your dog is a mix with something small and curly-tailed. :-)  

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.