BC Boards

Teaching "that'll do"

Hi. I recently started taking my 3 yr old BC to learn to herd sheep. At home or any where in public, she listens great, but doesn't listen when it comes to sheep. I need to teach her "that'll do," but I don't know how to. Anyone have any advice on how to teach it? I am trying to teach her at home to begin with.

The best place to pose this question, since it is dealing with stockdog training, would be in the "Training Discussion" or even "Ask an Expert" in the part of the boards concerning the working stockdog.

If you are already working with an instructor, what does he/she say about this? This is one of those things that really is most readily accomplished on stock because, as you have seen, the things a dog may well seem to know off stock can often vanish once the dog is on stock (at least in the beginning).

In my limited experience, you train a "that'll dog" by positioning yourself between your dog and the stock, and preventing the dog access to the stock, getting the dog to "down" or come to you, and then leading the dog away from the stock. In order to teach that "that'll do" is not a *bad thing* or the end of stockwork, it is often taught by doing this, and then turning right around again when the dog has complied, and setting the dog up to work the stock again - so he/she doesn't associate "that'll dog" with the end of stockwork but rather more of a brief break between works.

When it becomes something positive, it makes it much easier for the dog to learn it and enjoy it, because the dog looks forward to setting up another situation in which to work - or to a much-needed rest after a bit of hard work.

Does that make sense to you?

PS - If you are not already working with someone capable and competent to help train both you and your dog, the best thing you could do is to find someone qualified. It is awfully hard for a green handler and a green dog to learn good work together.

Where are you located in NC? There are a number of accomplished handlers who would be qualified to help train the two of you, depending on where you are located.

I use that command from the time a pup is small, but that doesn't mean an adult can't learn it!

In day to day activities, I will use it to let the dogs know that an activity is over. In other words, I will say it at the end of a game of ball in the yard then call them inside the house. (It's ok to say "That'll do" then say "here.") To enforce the command, whether on sheep or around the house, I use a long line.

As Liz P says, it is a really handy command for day to day life away from sheep. I also use it to end games and a while back I was struggling to convey to Quinn we weren't going to play fetch on a super hot and humid day. Quinn was doing his best to persuade me otherwise, until I took his head in my hands and quietly said, That'll do. It was like a light switched on, he trotted off to potty and then we went inside to the blissful AC. :)

I use it all the time. It means whatever we're doing is over. Or I might say, "that'll do, here." = stop what your doing and come here. Not sure why I don't just say "here" cause that's our recall word but they seem to respond to the whole saying better.

I also teach it off sheep and it transfers well to sheep. As well as anything knowing sheep are extra exciting. I think its better to have the saying known before starting sheep, since most commands fly out their brain in the beginning anyways.

Yep, I use it the same as others. When we are done outside in the yard I say, "That'll do!" When we are working stock and we are done I say "That'll do!" :) I also use "That'll Do" in conjunction with our recall word which is "here" so when I say "That'll Do, Here" that means come to me we are done.

And I use it that way also. For me, it means that that is fine but it's over. With a sterner tone, it may mean that that's fine but you are pushing it and it is over *now*.

I do teach some things off stock but always have to remind myself that it takes another sort of teaching to get the dog to respond as I want on stock. And some words may mean one thing on stock, and another thing off stock. Like DH, who always wants to say "come" where I try to say "here" for the recall, when "come" on stock means to go clockwise.

Fortunately, the dogs are often smarter than either of us are! :D

If no one has already mentioned this: The first few (or many) times on sheep, even the best-behaved dogs tend to forget everything. There's a reason for dragging a long line. I had to tackle my young dog to get him to stop the first time he really started working. He had an awesome recall off sheep. They just get SUPER EXCITED and go into work mode, and they forget things. They come around, especially when they figure out that they're working WITH you. Even after your dog learns "That'll do" off stock, I'd expect it to not work the first time you try it on stock. Just remember, don't give a command you can't reinforce. Telling the dog to "Lie Down" a zillion times is just teaching the dog that "Lie Down" means nothing.

I use Here and a leg pat with the pups name and a very upbeat, happy voice from a wee pup, and soon introduce That'll Do along with Here, once they have a good recall. Then I use that'll do sparingly when not working sheep, once I know the pup has learned it. I try to keep the that'll do very positive with a happy but assertive voice and pat my leg.