BC Boards

Attention Bluegrass handlers

For those who attended the Bluegrass, I'd like to address the concern over the current Lepto scare. Yes, there is a dog who is suspected of having contracted the disease at Masterson Station. This dog was not competing and did not come in contact with anyone else's dogs and mostly stayed very near to the owner's camper. It was not up to date on it's Lepto vaccine due to a previous medical condition. This just shows that the environmental conditions at the Park were right for the bacteria to linger, and any unvaccinated dogs who were walking in the marshy, swampy areas could possibly be at risk. The incubation period can be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks and the signs include fever, depression, lethargy, discolored urine, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and stiffness.

Lepto can be a very serious disease and can also be transmitted to people, particularly through contact with the urine. Yes, I am sick and have had close contact with this dog, so I am taking appropriate action as is the dog's owner. Doxycycline is the drug of choice. However, unless your dog has the disease, it is very unlikely that you need to worry about contracting it yourself.

If your dog becomes ill over the next 2 weeks, please do not wait to seek veterinary attention. Otherwise, this is a good reminder to keep your dogs updated on vaccines.

Hopefully this provides some clarification,

Emily Falk, VMD