BC Boards

Need ideas for cleaning stained paws

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

We coated Maya's paws with Musher's Secret today, before heading out for a walk around the neighborhood. We live in an area where the roads are heavily salted, so we use this for protection. I guess we hadn't ever used it immediately before embarking on a walk, b/c now her paws are stained black from the road, and the Musher's is preventing anything from penetrating! We have been trying to clean her for almost an hour now. We've tried sitting her in the tub, using her dog shampoo, we tried a little vinegar, we tried letting her run around outside in the snow for almost 30 minutes........nothing is working! They are a little less black now, but they are no where near clean. Does anyone have any tricks I could try, or know of other household items that may be dog safe? Thanks!

We coated Maya's paws with Musher's Secret today, before heading out for a walk around the neighborhood. We live in an area where the roads are heavily salted, so we use this for protection. I guess we hadn't ever used it immediately before embarking on a walk, b/c now her paws are stained black from the road, and the Musher's is preventing anything from penetrating! We have been trying to clean her for almost an hour now. We've tried sitting her in the tub, using her dog shampoo, we tried a little vinegar, we tried letting her run around outside in the snow for almost 30 minutes........nothing is working! They are a little less black now, but they are no where near clean. Does anyone have any tricks I could try, or know of other household items that may be dog safe? Thanks!

What about something like Dawn dishwashing liquid...it is a degreaser and apparently used to clean birds caught in oil spills, or at least the "socially responsible" tv commercials demonstrate that.

Liz

What about something like Dawn dishwashing liquid...it is a degreaser and apparently used to clean birds caught in oil spills, or at least the "socially responsible" tv commercials demonstrate that.

Liz

Oh, yuh. It works on spill-coated cormorants and gulls. I can attest to that. Worked pretty well on a a cat that fell in a pan of dirty crank-case oil too. Took 3 baths on consecutive days to get it all out, but the cat suffered no ill effects. No, I didn't leave the pan out. But I reamed out my landlord, who did.

Here's a countersuggestion. Try rubbing her paws with baby oil. With luck it will dissolve both the Musher's Secret and whatever black is adhering to it. It'll still leave her paws greasy, but then try some dog shampoo (or baby shampoo, or dishwashing detergent) to remove the baby oil.

Good luck! Duncan hates road salt too. He holds his feet splayed out at a really funny angle when he's walking on salty roads. We bought him some "Pawz" (think doggie galoshes - essentially heavy-duty balloon-like rubber that fit on his feet). They protect his feet from the salt, though he slips more easily on ice. And he's mortified when he first puts them on. They do stay on well, though.

Archived