BC Boards

Joint clicking/popping

fergmatt

Jax and I went to the vet a few days ago because I wanted to get cleared for agility and comp disc. All his joints were checked out and everything was fine per the vet. I also told her that I hear his joints cracking and popping when he walked on carpet. Its nothing consistent, just every once in a while (one out of every ten steps). The vet said she could not reproduce the crack and not to worry. If he starts to limp or favor a leg, then call for an appt. We did not do ex rays as he is only 1.5 and she said to wait until 2 to do them. My question is does anyone else have a dog who has joints sounding like this? It sounds like his ankles (??). I have recently put him on joint supplements also to help with any possible future issues. Thoughts? Anything to ease my mind????

Hannah's hock joints will click sometimes. Nothing wrong with them as far as I know and she's 12 now. She does have arthritis in her toes but no cracking noises from them. It tends to happen more if she's going up stairs or if she's stretching.

Guest maya's mom

I have the exact same "issue" with Maya and was just as worried about it as you are. She is 2 and a half right now, and I noticed this "clicking" early one. (I can replicate the noise in one of my toes sometimes!) Like you, I took her to the vet b/c I was worried it was her hips. By the time we got to the vet, I realized it wasn't her hips, but coming from her knees or feet. My vet couldn't replicate the noise either, but didn't see or feel any issues or notice anything else. Maya has never limped or shown any sign of pain. We don't do agility, but we are very active with her every day....running, frisbee, etc. I was also told to just watch her, but not to worry. She must just be "clicky". I am that way myself! We do give her a Zukes Glucosamine and Chondriotan treat everyday. Goodluck with your pup. Please post if anything else develops.

"Clicking" joints are usually an indication of some type of ligament issue, whether it be a current injury or remaining damage from a prior stretched/damaged ligament.

One of my dogs started clicking in her hock joints at about 3 years old. I started her on glucosamine, MSM, Vit C. After a couple of months, the clicking went away. She is almost 15 now & remains on the glucosamine, MSM, Vit C, although I have upped the glucosamine. Only one time, about 6 years ago when I stopped giving her the glucosamine, the clicking returned. I restarted & the clicking went away after a couple weeks. Not necessarily true that supplements will resolve all ligament or joint problems for all dogs, but it has been very effective for this dog.

I don't believe there is much you can do in terms of a permanent solution, but anything that supports the joints (like glucosamine, exercise, proper weight, etc) will also support the ligaments.

gail

Archived