BC Boards

1 year vs 3 year rabies

Mike Neary

the one year, per the vet yesterday, had less "carrier" ingredients.
My guess, is the 1 year vaccines were older version of vaccine formulation and the manufacturers, having found improvements started a new version (formulation) of the vaccine which allows for longer shelf life of the product and more reproducible manufacturing of the product. Since these new version needed to be certified by the FDA/USDA they decided to test this new version for 3 year DOI since that is what the customer wants.

Yes, there is a lot number, all the certs (both 3 and 1 year) have the same lot number on them that were administered on that day.
In this case the vet is taking advantage of the fact there are 1 year and 3 year vaccines on the market; they are stocking the 3 year vaccine, and charging differently for the cert duration (assuming the dog is old enough to not require a booster in 1 year).

Seems that we tend to pay for more extras when we go to vets that have a larger in office cliental, the one vet we had did very little farm work, he charged for wellness exams when he saw your dog in addition to a office charge, hazardous waste fees and a higher fee for 3 yr rabies then the 1 year, he also has vet techs and such to pay. Another vet that we used to use was out of the office more but always had a tech travel with him, he also did the extra charges. The vet we use now is out of the office on farm calls alot has one partner that is also a vet, only has one full time office person, I've never seen a tech, he charges a office fee and then for the product that he administered. I suspect that his overhead is lower with less staff and he passes that on to his customers.

Deb

In this case the vet is taking advantage of the fact there are 1 year and 3 year vaccines on the market; they are stocking the 3 year vaccine, and charging differently for the cert duration (assuming the dog is old enough to not require a booster in 1 year).

Actually, that's the vet that charges the same for the vaccine regardless of the certificate

3 year Rabies in south AL $30 to $45. Same shots they had in the fridge the day before the law changed.

O/T: The law for rabies shots has changed in AL? None of my guys have needed the rabies shot yet this year, so I guess I must have missed this. Great news!

O/T: The law for rabies shots has changed in AL? None of my guys have needed the rabies shot yet this year, so I guess I must have missed this. Great news!

all states are 3 years now, though some counties and cities make up their own laws based on reasons other than science

your past shot won't count for 3 unless you got it after August

WV must have been one of the last states to go to 3 years since it passed March 8, 2010 (goes into effect in June 2010).

If I read it correctly, WV was already 3 year, but portions of it elected to not follow the state law was rewritten. Alabama, by the report of the rabies challenge fund supporters was the last state.

Not that it matters, as the whole country should have been 3 year as *federal law* dictated to begin with. The increase in vaccination to one year was only about money by promoting public fear. And why not simply make Hawaii abide by the 3 year as well - instead of quarantine? Money, pure and simple. It makes your head spin 'round.

I've always said the US government should ship the UK a pair of skunks, tell them they "might" be rabid, and then we can trash this whole expensive and irritating travel scheme for pets as well. Just a thought... :rolleyes:

These are all dogs that have had the initial "puppy" rabies shot and have been vaccinated at least twice total (youngest is 4 yrs). I really don't want to overvaccinate these dogs, but I don't want to pay extra for nothing, and certainly I want adequate protection. Asking them why charges are different always seems to aggravate them. My Vet bills are high enough in a year between sheep and dogs, so economizing with the same level of protection is a good thing.

Thanks for the replies- mn

Do you have a free rabies clinic around? Vet care is insanely expensive here, and mine get a shot free through the town. The same vet who performs the shots at the free clinic charges about $100 for a rabies booster (he makes you pay an exam fee, in addition to the shot).

If I read it correctly, WV was already 3 year, but portions of it elected to not follow the state law was rewritten.
WEST VIRGINIA Rabies Law-- Action Alert

Contact your legislators and ask them to introduce a bill changing the 2 year booster requirement to conform to the 3 year protocol recommended by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians Rabies Compendium and ask your pet-owning friends to do the same

I went back and found out why Alabama was called the "last" state in the Rabies issue. It was the last *one* year state. Looks like WV is the last 2 year one.

After they get this done, I hope they can start pushing for weight appropriate dosages.

I have just had my dog to the vet today to have his rabies jag for moving over to Canada. It cost me £44.00 and we have to go back in 4 weeks to have the blood test. This is all done so we can get a pet passport. The blood test is on top of the rabies cost.

The costs here are crazy for vet bills. Thats another reason for getting over to Canada.

The same vet who performs the shots at the free clinic charges about $100 for a rabies booster (he makes you pay an exam fee, in addition to the shot).

What the...??? Who is it? Even around here that's expensive! My vet is on the high side for this area at about $84 for an OV, but he doesn't charge me the OV fee when I go just for vaccs.

Kind of OT, but I have heard a number of folks say they wouldn't allow their dogs to be given a vaccine from Fort Dodge (rabies or otherwise). Anyone know why?

Just wanted to confirm what Lenajo said: my vet also told me to avoid Fort Dodge, specifically for the non-rabies vaccines (which I do myself) because she had personally observed a higher rate of adverse reactions with vaccines from this manufacturer.

And I can't resist adding this: Wow! Substantive posts from the long-absent RDM and AK Dog Doc, on the same day no less! We are truly blessed (and I mean that without the slightest touch of sarcasm).

Archived