BC Boards

Buddy Swallowed K9 Advantix II (FYI...)

mbc1963

So, yesterday I went to apply the K9 Advantix II to Buddy. Had him by the collar, and was trying to use the little cap/piercer to open the tube, and Buddy moved, and a big squirt of the medicine flew right onto his snout, in/on his nose. He promptly licked at it and swallowed that down, and then proceeded to have a strong negative reaction: desperately trying to get it off himself. (He can't even stand the feel/smell of it when I put it on his neck.)

After a few minutes of panicked phone calling to the 800 number, I was told that this was pretty much nontoxic when swallowed, with the exception of possible vomiting or frothing. They said that if Buddy had gotten it in his nose, he would likely be sneezing like crazy, but that the taste and smell were horrible to dogs, so if he got it in his mouth or on his nose, it would make him frantic. I washed him off with soap and water as requested, and after that he seemed to be fine. (I couldn't smell the product on him anymore.)

So, just in case it ever happens to a forum member... it's not as dreadful as you might think. I was worried I'd have a dead dog on my head.

Mary

That's good to know.

This is also a good reminder to either have a helper (to hold the dog or administer the drop-on) or prepare the tube first and stand it up in a small glass container (or something similarly suitable), then get the dog positioned, then apply.

Glad all will be fine!

So very glad Buddy will be OK! Scary stuff, I know!

This is also a good reminder to either have a helper (to hold the dog or administer the drop-on) or prepare the tube first and stand it up in a small glass container (or something similarly suitable), then get the dog positioned, then apply.

So are you trying to say that my method of chanting "you stand still, come over here, HEY knock it off and stand still... you come back here right now and stand still- didn't I just tell you to STAND STILL!!!!" while waving the open tube around wildly should be trashed? :lol:

So are you trying to say that my method of chanting "you stand still, come over here, HEY knock it off and stand still... you come back here right now and stand still- didn't I just tell you to STAND STILL!!!!" while waving the open tube around wildly should be trashed? :lol:

lol...Cody rolls over for a tummy rub every time I approach him with the tube. :)

Archived