BC Boards

It seems to me that he has turned the first corner -- he has started having some interest in being alive, and is participating in the process instead of just being dead weight. This is a very big step and I find it encouraging. :-)

That is good news. You might want to start preparing him for leash walking by attaching his leash and just letting it drag until he gets used to it. Then you won't have to carry him everywhere.

BTW, what is it about the laundry room that makes it feel like a safe haven for traumatized dogs. Maybe it's because there's usually no window? I had a foster whose favourite place was the back of the laundry room with his head stuck between the dryer and the wall.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelso is making such good progress! He is really surprising me. Honestly, the first couple of days I actually wondered if he would make it because he was completely uninterested in being alive. But today he actually got up on his own for the first time! When I came home he wagged at me and then got into a sitting position all on his own for the first time. And when I opened the door he actually got up and went out without my having to put him on his feet and walk him along.

Encouraged, I went and got the leash and we went for our first walk. I coaxed him out the gate and we walked together around a little bit of the front of my property, with me just holding the leash and following wherever he went. This was also a big step because previously if I put a leash on him he turned into a starfish and I would have to peel him off the ground. He got really tired walking, but I got him to walk a lot farther than he ever has before.

He still walks like a cripple, but I believe now that with time he will walk - and even run - normally.

Another step today: he ate out of a food bowl for the first time. I still had to hold the bowl for him (I don't think he can bend down to the floor like a normal dog), but I did not have to hand feed him.

Oh gosh, he is just the most beautiful dog, and I believe that he will be a sweetheart when he finally finds himself. I have grown fond of him, and all day long I look forward to coming home so I can work with him again.

I am very impressed with how far he has come in less than a week, and I let him know it all the time!

D'Elle

Encouraged, I went and got the leash and we went for our first walk. I coaxed him out the gate and we walked together around a little bit of the front of my property, with me just holding the leash and following wherever he went. This was also a big step because previously if I put a leash on him he turned into a starfish and I would have to peel him off the ground. He got really tired walking, but I got him to walk a lot farther than he ever has before.

Another step today: he ate out of a food bowl for the first time. I still had to hold the bowl for him (I don't think he can bend down to the floor like a normal dog), but I did not have to hand feed him.

That's marvelous. Now that he is able to go for walks, he'll get more stimulation and the exercise will build up his strength. It's also encouraging that he is eating out of a bowl -- even Taff wouldn't eat from a bowl initially; nor would he take from my hand, he'd eat only if I dropped pieces on the floor. I'm joining the chorus of people asking for photos.

Go Kelso go! Can you hear the cheering from Vancouver?

Wick (though not as desperate a case) took a long time to come out of her shell. She kind of skulked around like a dog who was deciding whether life was worth all this stress. It took 4 months before she could make eye contact with me. The first time her nubbin wagged at me, I cried.

Love reading the updates, keep 'em coming! And maybe a video with Wham! music as the soundtrack? biggrin.gif

Many, many thanks to all of your for your cheers, encouragement, and good energy sent Kelso's way. And thanks for your kind words to me as well. In response to requests, here are some more photos.

This one was taken in the shelter in Austin, I think. At any rate, it was before he left Texas. A lady from there said in an email that he was the most shy and frightened of the group that they had there - wouldn't move from the back of his enclosure unless he thought no one was watching.

22_Princeton_M1.jpg

This is Kelso on day three at my house:

KelsoDay3smaller.jpg

Here he is on day 5.....finally walking around....

KelsoDay5.jpg

And here he is today, day 6....looking right at me!!! (Isn't he just beautiful?)

KelsoDay6.jpg

My questions for anyone who can answer them today:

Anyone have experience with something called K9 SuperFuel? I have heard it recommended for dogs who are in poor condition. It is very expensive (by my standard) so I would like recommendations before I buy it, although if it will help Kelso I will spring for it gladly.

Next issue is that now he is letting me know he really doesn't want me to pick him up and carry him to the end of the yard for exercise. Equally, of course, I cannot coax him nor can I tug even ever so gently on the leash. He is starting to move away from me when I approach him to pick him up now, because he doesn't want me to carry him out to the end of the yard. But what do you folks think? Should I do it anyway to make him walk more? On his own he is walking a little bit, but I don't know if it is enough for his optimal recovery.

Not that he moves away from me all the time. While I was taking photos of him today he kept walking up to me, so that's a good thing. But he can tell when I am about to pick him up and although he lets me do it, he doesn't really like that. I am a bit torn about it - wanting to make sure he gets enough exercise to get strong but not wanting to annoy him.

Today a friend came over to meet him at my invitation and he pretty much shut down again while she was here, although he was looking at me again once she left. Clearly, socialization will take some time.

Thanks again to all of you who are taking an interest in him.

:-)

D'Elle

Anyone have experience with something called K9 SuperFuel? I have heard it recommended for dogs who are in poor condition. It is very expensive (by my standard) so I would like recommendations before I buy it, although if it will help Kelso I will spring for it gladly.

OK, first off, I'm in tears with that last pic. The expression on his face ... it's like he's saying "Oh, hello! Thank you for everything, I'm much happier now".

My understanding with K9 Superfuel is that it's like an energy drink for your dog. We sometimes get them in the goody bags at agility trials. My friends who use it do so to ensure that their dogs drink water throughout the trial. I've not heard of it used for dogs in poor condition, though I suppose it couldn't hurt, though it is expensive!

Have you ever tried satin balls? I've made them for my skinny-mini dog (not that she is in poor condition, but because she can lose 2-4lbs in a weekend trial). Satin Ball recipe You feed them in addition to their regular food, and it's fairly cheap to whip up a batch.

Loving the updates. Go Kelso go!!!

And here he is today, day 6....looking right at me!!! (Isn't he just beautiful?)

Today a friend came over to meet him at my invitation and he pretty much shut down again while she was here, although he was looking at me again once she left. Clearly, socialization will take some time.

I'm delighted that there is such clear progress. Don't worry about his shutting down when a stranger came; that can take much longer. Be satisfied that he is learning to trust you and can feel relaxed with you. That in itself is a big milestone. Once you win his trust, you can gradually build up his confidence, but for now, you are the person he feels he can trust. That is your foundation; consolidate it and carefully build on it.

Thank you........I will keep the Satin Balls in mind for future use, but it's not what Kelso needs, as he is actually overweight and needs to slim down. It's just that he has no muscle tone or endurance or energy. It would appear that he was kept in a small cage and never had a chance to walk around let alone get exercise, so he needs to build strength.

D'Elle

D'Elle, I get teary seeing the dramatic progress you're making with Kelso. Keep those pics coming. Kelso is beautiful, and clearly blossoming under your care.

I don't know if you are familiar with Andie and Stanley (ABCR alum) who were pulled from the shelter up here last year. Neither appeared to have ever experienced a leash before. For them, having a leash and collar around their necks was confusing and frightening, but both did far better with a harness. That might be worth a try.

Today's progress: Kelso did half of a dog stretch this morning when he got up. He is too stiff to do more, but I liked it because that is a *dog* thing to do, and I think that he is just learning what it is to be a dog. Although he moved away from me all day today and did not want me to touch him, I am feeling that this is a phase he is going through, which may be short-lived. Even if it isn't, he has to go through whatever stages it takes in this process, and I cannot conduct it nor can I rush it, just support and encourage him along the way. I do several sessions a day with the clicker, clicking and treating eye contact or any movememt toward me. He did eat his dinner from my hand again tonight - there's a curious mixture of trust and mistrust in him right now.

A friend came over and he hid most of the time but eventually came out only far enough to see us but not really be seen.

Here's the most interesting thing to report. Jes and I do Musical Freestyle and we are working on a new routine. I have been so involved with Kelso that Jes and I have not really practiced since Kelso arrived, but tonight we did some moves. Kelso sat up and pricked his ears and watched us with an interest and intensity that he has not shown toward anything since he came to my house. It was brief, but another sign that there is a border collie in there !!!

D'Elle

Kelso and I have Big News this morning: Kelso trotted!! This morning he was already up when I went to let him out of the laundry room, wagging his tail (!!) and then he actually trotted out into the back yard to go potty. This is a dog who could not even walk a week ago! I am so proud of him. He shook himself, trotted over there, sniffed, peed, kicked back his hind legs (weakly, but still a kick), and trotted over there to sniff. Acting like a dog! And he sometimes has his ears up and even his tail up as well when he is in the yard with the other dogs, and doesn't know I am watching from the window. I am so impressed with him.

And he actually walked over to me while I was having coffee - this is the first time he has walked toward me when I was not holding out food.

It is hard to reward him, because so far nothing really interests him that much. He will take food from my hand but so far nothing I have tried elicits the "Hey, what do I have to do to get more of that" kind of response that one is used to from a normal dog. But I think that will come with time. I think that after what he has been through he doesn't know yet how to be enthusiastic, because there was nothing in his life about which to be enthusiastic. But he will learn. The Really Huge thing to me is that a week ago this dog did not care if he lived or died. Now he is taking an interest in life.

:D

D'Elle

We are having another chilly, windy, wet day here - not Easter (and a late Easter, at that) weather! Your two recent posts have made me smile like the sun was shining brightly - it is wonderful to hear of his progress, and I think he will amaze you each day.

Very, very best wishes to you both!

Every post you make regarding Kelso's progress brings a smile to my face! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be for you to see this happening :) Kudos to you and when he's up for it...give Kelso a scruffle for me :)

Every post you make regarding Kelso's progress brings a smile to my face! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be for you to see this happening :) Kudos to you and when he's up for it...give Kelso a scruffle for me :)

Indeed, this is true. It is an amazing and wonderful journey that Kelso is taking and I am most privileged to be a part of it. I imagine that all of the other people fostering these dogs are having similar experiences. It means a lot to me to know that so many of you are pulling for him and all of these dogs.

More distinct progress today. I am glad I started this thread because if I had not, I probably would not take the time to write this all down and it would be so easy to forget all the steps he has taken when there is a new one -- or more than one -- every day.

This morning and then again this evening he was out in the yard trotting from bush to shrub, scratching, sniffing, peeing, and kicking up dust in trio with Jester and the visiting dog, a Havanese whom I dogsit at times. All three with their ears perked, being busily male and doggish, and if you'd known nothing about Kelso you would only have thought that he moves slowly and stiffly for a young dog. He would still occasionally stand very still, no longer staring morosely at the ground as he did a few days ago, but rather with nose up, testing the air.

He even did some brief play-posturing. Watching him with the other dogs it was clear that he is starting to learn how to be a dog among polite dogs and is gaining a great deal of confidence in himself among his peers.

Learning to trust a human being is trickier for Kelso. I have been periodically going into the laundry room and sitting on the floor with him, petting him and sometimes talking to him. Tonight when I left he actually followed me into the kitchen a ways, so I sat down on the living room floor with the other 3 dogs, petting them. Kelso stood for a long time in the kitchen watching. You could see him thinking it over, taking one tentative step toward the living room, then retreating. Finally he turned and retreated to the laundry room, but after only a few moments he reappeared, lying down in the kitchen just outside the laundry room where he could continue to watch us.

It's challenging for us both, as I need to watch him for signs he may pee in the house, and rush him outside when I see that intention, and simultaneously I want him to feel welcome to come into the rest of the house. When I move in order to keep him and his behavior in sight, it frightens him back into the laundry room. We are both struggling with that boundary right now. It will be interesting to see how it resolves.

Right now he is still lying there watching the rest of us, and occasionally getting up to go lap a couple of times at the water dish, which means moving closer to me. I get the feeling he isn't necessarily that thirsty, but it's a way he can get a little closer and watch me from under his eyebrows, and perhaps not be noticed. I spend a lot of time watching Kelso and trying not to let him know I am watching, and it appears that he is doing exactly the same thing. ;)

How lucky I feel to have the chance to share this time with Kelso.

D'Elle