18 replies to this topic

#1 airbear

airbear

Talk to the paw

• Registered Users
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:50 PM

Keen-Eye Lou: March 5, 2002 - June 8, 2016
Lou crossed peacefully to the Big Field on June 8. I hope that Wick and Bear were the first to greet him, followed by all of his relatives and friends that went before him. It’s the end of an era; the last of my condo dogs from my city days has passed.

Lou was my first working border collie, and he literally put me on his shoulders and taught me how to work sheep. I had never run in anything more than a fun arena trial when I bought Lou, and after just a couple of weeks of working him, we went to the post for the first time in Pro Novice.  I think we ran in two PN trials and then I moved to Open the next trial because I didn't want to run on the Monday. He was such a natural dog, the sheep loved him, and no matter how many wrong flanks I blew, no matter how many times I misjudged the panels, or got in the way in the shed, he would put everything back together for me. I never knew what to call that quality he had until recently. My mentor told me "He has mental fortitude." The rare time a sheep tried to biff him, he stood his ground, neither threatening nor retreating. He only gripped off twice, both times at the Calgary Stampede. He had a sense of style.

He took care of me on the field, and all he asked for off the field were the crusts from my sandwich. If I wanted to share my sandwich, that was cool too. Because of Lou, I met great people from all over North America. He was infinitely more popular than me, and a favourite under the tent.  You could often find him in the concession, making sure that nothing went to waste. 

Off the field, Lou was the most chill, unflappable dog. Almost everyone who met him loved him. He enjoyed staring at cats, having his mullet groomed, playing with the hose, and napping. He was ridiculously popular at agility trials, given that he never really did agility. He came to work from time to time, which he enjoyed because everyone had food. He loved my family, most especially my niece, and was endlessly patient as she braided his ear hair or painted his nails. He has been my shadow for so long and he took an enormous part of my heart with him when he left. He truly was the most perfect creature to ever walk this earth and while I did not deserve to have such a great dog, I am so glad he drifted into my life. I hope to see him again one day on the really big field.

8069110063_9c20b64e54_b.jpg

Kristi
Rex and Bar
Bear, Wick and Lou - forever in my heart
Our Photo Blog

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams - Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 terrecar

terrecar

Sheepdogger Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free, Lou.

ETA: What a great dog! Loved reading his story.

Edited by terrecar, 28 June 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#3 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:42 PM

Run free Lou.

Each dog changes our lives, so each one stays with us forever.

#4 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,807 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:42 AM

I am so sorry for you, Kristi. Lou was a very special dog. That was obvious from your writings and photos. I will miss seeing his handsome face in your posts.
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#5 jvw

jvw

• Registered Users
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

What a beautiful tribute. He sounds like an amazing dog. I wish I had met him. So sorry for your loss.

#6 Rolf

Rolf

• Registered Users
  • 899 posts
  • Interests:Music and my dogs

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:37 AM

What a big loss for you, airbear. I am very sad, too. It is never easy, when the very best dog of the world has gone for ever.

I wish you much power to overwind this desaster. Lou must have been an extraordinary BC. I like his story.

#7 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

I'm so very sorry for your great loss. Lou was obviously a very special dog, and beautiful both physically and in his awesome spirit.

roxanne

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#8 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

So sorry. Having just had to say good bye to one of my dogs I know how hard it is. Lou sounds like an amazing dog. You were lucky to have had each other.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#9 Beach BCs

Beach BCs

Life's A Beach!

• Registered Users
  • 919 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

I am so very sorry.  What a wonderful tribute.

Kate

Georgia, Texas & Faith

#10 Laurelin

Laurelin

• Registered Users
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:agility, dogs

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

Oh damn.  I didn't realize what sub forum this was on at first.  I'm so sorry to hear of Lou's passing. 

#11 WildFlower

WildFlower

Sheep dog handler in training.

• Registered Users
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

I am very sorry for your loss. That'll do Lou.

Vicki

Border Collies: Devon, Teak, Jess, & Gus
Kitties: Merry Cat & Mr. Magoo

Chickens and Sheep

Forever in my heart: Daisy 3/6/2008 - 12/20/2015

"Live the life you love. Love the life you live."

#12 rushdoggie

rushdoggie

• Registered Users
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

I am so sorry.

"one dog shy of a crazy dog lady..."

c933f85e-d7ab-4b06-a588-a46b423e82d1_zps

#13 PSmitty

PSmitty

• Registered Users
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

Magnificent, your Lou. :wub: I know what a hole he leaves behind, but what a fantastic life he had with you.

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex , Will & Slider

#14 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:41 AM

I'm glad I got to meet Lou.  He had charisma, big time.  I'm very sorry, and I'm sure you're missing him like crazy.

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#15 Pippin's person

Pippin's person

Seeking more time and patience

• Registered Users
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

The end of an era for sure. I hope you see him on that big field, too.
Robin: One of the two people
Renzo: First dog, resident non-BC
Pippin, Rafe, Kyzer, Lad, Zac, and Scout: the BC crew
Fox, Lars, Milo, Xeno, Callie, and Barn Kitty: Kitties
Rest in Peace:  Theka, Macchi, Ness, Fritz, Inji and Tansy

#16 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

I'm so sorry, Kristi. Thanks for sharing him with us all along, he was a magnificent boy. You'll see him again, somehow somewhere.

Ruth and Gibbs

#17 RMSBORDERCOLLIES

RMSBORDERCOLLIES

• Registered Users
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

Kristi, Lou is with you still.  He is in your heart, your mind and your memories.  They never fade.  I remember from the start and to the passing and I remember him helping you out throughout your early years.  He is what we call "steady" and consistent, courageous but not aggressive, willing but not needy and BIG! Don't fret.  Enjoy the memories and that part of your life with him.  Bob

#18 airbear

airbear

Talk to the paw

• Registered Users
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

He is what we call "steady" and consistent, courageous but not aggressive, willing but not needy and BIG! 

LOL, that he was! He was one of the few dogs bigger than your Turk! Thanks for the kind words. 

Kristi
Rex and Bar
Bear, Wick and Lou - forever in my heart
Our Photo Blog

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams - Eleanor Roosevelt

#19 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

I have been away and just read Lou's tribute. It really captured him as I can get a good feeling as to what a wonderful dog he was. I am so sorry.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.