BC Boards

How much should I worry if Kit doesn't eat breakfast?

D'Elle

Oh, it doesn't hurt to use it like you are using it. It has a very high meat content and is really stinky so dogs love it.

I was just commenting that you don't want to feed a steady diet of cat food to a dog. It isn't nutritionally balanced for dogs and the protein content us too high. It isn't good for dogs long term.

Just an update -- it seems that Kit never wants to eat when she first gets up in the morning, but will eat if it is offered to her at 9, 10, 11.

So that's good. :)

Worried, though, as I am going away for 12 days in August and the person coming to stay here and look after her and the cat probably will be going to work before 9 or 10 in the morning. Don't know how I will manage that. She could leave the food down, but I suspect the cat would eat it. And in the summer, I hate to leave anything out for long.

As for dinner, she seems to be doing better with that. I wish she would eat more, but at least she is eating.

Had a blood panel done last week, waiting for results.

Her blood work came back normal except for slightly elevated kidney values and more slightly elevated liver values. I took in a urine sample and should hear about that today.

Vet says she may be slightly dehydrated. If she ended up needing fluids, I have done that before and it's no big deal.

I could ask the house sitter to shut the cat into my bedroom-and-bathroom if necessary, to leave Kit's breakfast out if she doesn't eat before she has to leave for work. Cat won't like that, but probably that is better than Kit not eating breakfast at all.

She still isn't eating enough; always leaves some in the bowl.

Update: Kit's urine analysis came back with nothing showing that is of any concern. So, she is almost 16 but healthy.

That is how Jester was as well, and he did fine up until he suddenly went down hill over the course of three months.

None of us are fond of this period of time in our relationships with our dogs. I try to focus on the fact that Jes did and Kit will live out their lives fully, instead of dying too young. Since we cannot change the fact that they don't live as long as we do, that's the best we can get.

The only thing good about it is that if they lived as long as we do, we'd not get to have as many dogs in our lifetimes. Although I bet most of us, given the chance, would trade that pleasure for having one special one forever.

Thanks for the update! Well at least the blood work and urinalysis came back with nothing serious. That ruled out a few reasons for her not to be eating. As Nikko got older, it was harder for him to stay hydrated too. It is sad as they get older, but for your dogs to have such long lives is a blessing!