BC Boards

What's up with catching frisbee with paws?

Saki has been doing great with the frisbee training and her speed has doubled. She's getting ready to turn 8 months so only 10 more months until I can start teaching her to jump & catch. The funny thing with her right now is that she tries to catch the frisbee with her paws. If it's any higher than a foot off the ground and up to head height her runs to it and tries standing on her back legs and grabbing it with her front paws. It's absolutely crazy looking when she does it and I can't help but laugh. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it as she starts jumping higher.

Anyway just thought you'd get a laugh out of it.

I can definitely relate to that! From 3 months when she first became interested in frisbees until nearly 8 months old, Gypsy would only grab rollers with her mouth. Anything off the ground she'd stomp down out of the air and then pick it up. One day it just clicked and she completely surprised me by consistently catching ever single throw :rolleyes: I think they grow out of it once they realize they can get another throw much quicker by simply catching it in their mouth :D

Yup....I've got one of those dogs!

BadgerRoxy.jpg

She still does it on occassion, but mostly will just jump and catch with her mouth. I think when she misjudges where whatever she is trying to catch (ball, frisbee) the paws come in for some assistance! :D:rolleyes:

Border Collies discovered that the only thing keeping them from world dominion is that they have no opposable thumbs. This is their way of developing said thumbs! You must stop this immediately. It is only a matter of time! Planet of the Apes was Hollywood hype. Planet of the Border Collies is reality!

The first time jackson ever caught a frisbee he jumped all 4 feet of the ground, grabbed it with his front paws and then got this look : :rolleyes: when he came back down. he landed on his side/head. *remember folks, he's part lassie collie too lol* It was hysterical. He has seen learned that catching with his mouth keeps his landing gear in commission.

Now:

He has no legs when catching lol:

47b8dc39b3127cceb503f065f9490000003.jpg

And he likes to showboat: (pardon the crappy scan)

Flying.jpg

OMG!!! I thought Ling was just a freak. I love seeing the pictures of everyone else's dogs who think they have hands! She does this exact thing, but it's so random that I've never been able to get a photo. She's gotten pretty good at getting it into her mouth before she lands when this happens, so she's doesn't have a problem landing when she does it. It's just hilarious to watch.

I love those pictures guys! But for Black Jack he's going to stay on the ground to catch his toys. I had him jumping to get the toy for a while, so when I would bounce the ball he would jump up and catch it. Until one sad, sad day I threw it, it bounced, and his nose thought it could catch it :D and BONK. Right on the end of his nose. It even made the ball squeek (Kong squeeky ball) He hasn't jumped for it since :D:D (I have the worlds softest dog :rolleyes:) But I love him!

I wonder if the catching-the-frisbee-with-the-paws-in-the-air thing is akin to me closing my eyes when I catch a basketball. They haven't quite learned how to do without it just hitting them in the face so they put up a barrier 'till they learn to time it just right so they don't get swapped in the face with a frisbee.

Those pictures, BTW, are hilarous. I love them!

Magic does this also, but the funniest thing is when she brings it back she stops short by about 10 to 20 feet and lays down with the frisbee on her paws. When you ask her to come she flips the frisbee in the air with her paw, catches it in her mouth then comes trotting up to give it to you, looking very proud of herself.

Border Collies discovered that the only thing keeping them from world dominion is that they have no opposable thumbs.

This is very true! Daisy always watches me do stuff like she's trying to figure it out...and I tell her "See, this is what you could do if you had opposable thumbs!"

I also thought that my dog was the only one that would try to catch it with her paws. I eventually gave up on frisbee's because she would either just watch it, or try and catch it this way...how do you get you dog "in to" frisbee? She's 3 so I don't know if she'll pick it up...

lol I have 2 of those! MJistly hardly ever does it, but she does use her paws sometimes. Happy however has been using her paws to everything since she was a pup, I actually had to teach her to use her mouth..(dont ask how, it was 7 years ago, I dont remember!). she still goes back to her paws on occasion, but she usually uses her mouth now..not that it makes her jump any higher, its like the "use your paws" it etched into her brain so she will jump really weirdly as if to use her paws, then its like she rembers"oh right..use my mouth"..so I wind up with this really bizaar looking jumps lol

Annie's problem is not related to catching the frisbee with her paws; her catches are truly things of beauty, airborne with all 4 paws well off the ground. No, in a competitive environment, Annie's problem is that she does not understand that the object of the "game" is to return to me with the frisbee for another throw, rather than going around after her first spectacular catch to visit the other dogs, and the other dogs' owners, and the spectators, and the judges, and anyone else who happens to be in the area, all the time with the frisbee in her mouth...