BC Boards

Duralactin

Root Beer

Our vet has recommended Duralactin for Sammie, who has some hip pain. She did prescribe Rimadyl to get the inflammation down, but she thinks that I might be able to wean him off of that if the Duralactin helps.

I'm going to try it, but I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and did it help?

She did prescribe Rimadyl to get the inflammation down, but she thinks that I might be able to wean him off of that if the Duralactin helps.

I didn't see any noticable difference in my now 12 year old BC when I tried Duralactin. Flute has mild dysplasia, arthrits in her back and wrists. From what I understand about Duralactin, it seems to be more effective with muscle inflammation verses joint inflammation.

What I do use which has definitely helped is Zeel and DLPA. Flute gets Zeel twice a day and 250 mg of DLPA twice a day, both given away from food. I also have used Boswellia when she has been particularly sore.

DLPA actually increases the body's pain response. Zeel and Boswellia both have anti-inflammatory properties.

Best,

Jen

ADCH Enna TM - Silver, SACH, GCH, SCH, JCH, RCH, MX, MXJ - rescued champion

Rising Sun's Hot to the Touch - aka: Fever - retired due to epilepsy

Flute AAD, AX, OAJ, OAC, OGC, NAJ - retired

Ignited's Molten Rush, aka: Lava - BC puppy in training

Kasi EAC,EGC,EJC, OA,OAJ - (1992-2007)

I have not tried for long term sort of stuff, but my dog recently came up with a very sore and inflamed hip - possibly from a fall, we aren't really sure. He's been on Deramaxx for 4 days and that definitely helped - went from 3 legged lame to just a noticeable head bob. I started giving him the Duralactin a couple of days ago and now I can't see a thing is wrong, he looks great. Could just be a coincidence though, maybe it took that long for the Deramaxx to do the trick or whatever was wrong is getting better. From reading the bottle, it seems to be intended to help an inflammatory response so may not be much good for things like mechanically induced joint pain due to calcium build up in the joints. I am not a vet though so could be totally wrong about that - looking forward to what others may have to say.

My vet (who I love) highly recommended Duralactin for my now-14-yr old border collie with arthritis in her front feet. I can't say that I never noticed any great improvement while she was on it, nor deterioration when I took her off. It MAY have helped.

I have since gone to Boswellia, and believe this works better - at least for my dog. Your mileage may vary....

diane

This thread interests me.

My non Border Collie had an abnormal liver values reading and my vet has suggested we need to be careful of what we give him for pain. I think he has low grade back pain a lot, and I would love to see if I could give him something to help make day-to-day life more comfortable for him, but I don't want to hurt his liver.

Archived