BC Boards

Some Board Mojo, Please

bc friend

Sara is having some quality of life issues - she's had spinal arthritis near the base of her tail for years but has only recently started having severe mobility issues which either are or similar to those caused by cauda equina. She's having a lot of problem getting to her feet - and sometimes she can't w/o a minor boost from me. In the last couple of weeks, she's started having some fecal incontinence where stool just literally falls out of her while she's walking (not straining at all). My vet is starting her on some steriods tomorrow a.m. to see if this helps or if she has just reached the end.

She's 17 w/liver cancer and has typical old dog issues - deafness, cloudy eyes, etc. - but she's still a happy dog, gives kisses, interacts with me and the other pets, accepts grooming from the old cat, eats well, when she's on her feet she's still doing slow trots and prances out the door for short walks, and Sunday was out playing frisbee (short, slow tosses directly to her).

I know she's old and if she died in her sleep tonight, I would accept that she had lived a full life and it was just her time to go. Obviously if the steroids don't help, I'm going to have to make "the decision" because I can't/won't condemn her to a life where she can't get up and will start messing herself - she deserves better than that from me. But selfishly, the thought of making that decision is breaking my heart.

So, I'm asking for some board mojo - either to let her go peacefully in her sleep or that the meds help her.

Gladly sending mojo to you and Sara for improvement first, and a peaceful passing if improvement isn't possible. I know you're in a difficult position, but if you have to make the decision most of us would prefer not to have to make, just remember that you gave her 17 really good years--years in which she knew your love and was cared for well.

J.

Gadly sending mojo to you and Sara for improvement first, and a peaceful passing if improvement isn't possible. I know you're in a difficult position, but if you have to make the decision most of us would prefer not to have to make, just remember that you gave her 17 really good years--years in which she knew your love and was cared for well.

J.

I second everything Julie said.

Good thoughts coming your way.

Dogs (and other animals) enjoy one blessing that we humans don't - the opportunity to be gently and lovingly released from pain and a failing body when living no longer remains a joy.

You will know when it's time, I am sure, and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear old companion of so many years.

Lots of mojo coming from your Canadian friends...may Sara pass peacefully if that is what is to be. I know how difficult the decision to let her go will be....I had to do it for my Brandy at 16 1/2. Know that it is love that will help you make the choice that may come...and Sara will love you for it. My thoughts are with you tonight...

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and mojo. It'll be a few days until we know whether the steroids will help or not. According to my vet, the positive part is that Sara is still personality-wise herself - not depressed , eating well, has good organ function, still trying to move normally, etc.; on the negative side, she's 17 and her body is just wearing out.

We're thinking of you here in Kentucky, too. Sara's health challenges remind me so much of my William's that I particularly feel for you at this tough time, but everyone else has articulated things better than I can. Wish wishes for peace for you both, whatever comes.