BC Boards

Dog Boots

Jude is starting to age a bit, and his paws are getting a little more sensitive. He's also been starting to get quite a bit of cactus stuck in his paws on our hikes. Unlike Zed's "prance" walk, Jude has more of a "plop" walk, which gets the cholla stuck in pretty good. But the trooper just stops, lets me pluck them out, then keeps on truckin!

Does anyone have any good boots they could recommend to help keep the cactus out? Thanks guys

Absolutely the best dog boots, hands down, are from http://www.dogbooties.com/ --- They do NOT come off. The key is the stretchy velcro!

I just get the basic 330 denier booties for my dogs because they claim to be the most "comfortable" for them. They work super in the snow & ice. For a situation with burrs or cactus, I might look into one of the tougher fabrics that they offer (although they do warn that it takes a bit longer for a dog to get used to the stiffer feeling of those boots).

My favorite thing about these booties are the colors they come in -- All of my dogs have booties to match their blankets. :D Hot pink for Secret, blue for Kaiser and red for Luke!

post-11040-072234200 1327684014_thumb.jpg

post-11040-061048200 1327684037_thumb.jpg

Absolutely the best dog boots, hands down, are from http://www.dogbooties.com/ --- They do NOT come off. The key is the stretchy velcro!

I just get the basic 330 denier booties for my dogs because they claim to be the most "comfortable" for them. They work super in the snow & ice. For a situation with burrs or cactus, I might look into one of the tougher fabrics that they offer (although they do warn that it takes a bit longer for a dog to get used to the stiffer feeling of those boots).

My favorite thing about these booties are the colors they come in -- All of my dogs have booties to match their blankets. :D Hot pink for Secret, blue for Kaiser and red for Luke!

post-11040-072234200 1327684014_thumb.jpg

post-11040-061048200 1327684037_thumb.jpg

What size did you get your dogs? I tried to follow the sizing guide and measured Ouzo's widest part of the paws at 2 2/3 inches - that indicates a Medium. Not sure what they mean by "tall" - maybe the vertical lenght of the ankle?

I am very interested in getting some good but not too expensive boots for Ouzo for those few times a year when the temps are just ridiculous (as in negative many degrees) and he's hurting either from cold or from the deicing stuff thrown on the ground...

These boots you listed seem very resonably priced.

FWIW, I tried several kinds of dog booties for Buddy. He doesn't like snowballs between his toes, and road salt really bothers him. In any kind of deep snow, the booties were useless. They kept falling off, and I had to take off my mittens to replace them, which was just as chilling as picking the snowballs out by hand, so I didn't really get any benefit.

The Ruff Wear boots I paid a lot of money for didn't stay on any better than the cheapo ones, in snow. However, they have rubber "sneaker" soles, and might be fine for keeping cactus out. (Resold my on eBay for a nice return, anyway.)

Didn't try the one with stretchy velcro, made of cordura. Might have to try some next year as Buddy's getting older and more delicate. :)

Mary

Anda -- Secret, my Border Collie, wears the XS boot (2-1/4" across, 5" tall). It's more or less a perfect fit for her. I have a friend with a border collie of similar size (45-50 lbs) that wears the same. His smaller bc is a XXS.

My Lab/Shepherd is in the Large, which are 3" by 5-1/2" tall. For him, I wish the boots were a bit taller because his front dewclaws get in the way and he ends up getting snow in his boots when he runs through really deep stuff.

My Klee Kai is in the XXXSmall boots. :D They are so cute and tiny.

Oh, wow, I didn't imagine such small boots for a BC :)

Ouzo's a big boy with huge paws rolleyes.gif He's about 50lb and 23 inches tall.

Anda -- Secret, my Border Collie, wears the XS boot (2-1/4" across, 5" tall). It's more or less a perfect fit for her. I have a friend with a border collie of similar size (45-50 lbs) that wears the same. His smaller bc is a XXS.

My Lab/Shepherd is in the Large, which are 3" by 5-1/2" tall. For him, I wish the boots were a bit taller because his front dewclaws get in the way and he ends up getting snow in his boots when he runs through really deep stuff.

My Klee Kai is in the XXXSmall boots. :D They are so cute and tiny.

Archived