BC Boards

herding/chasing cats

sixx

Quick question... I was wondering if anyone knows how to stop a bc from herding or chasing cats. I know it is instinctual. Any recommendations? She is about 9 months old. Love my new pup.

-new bc owner

We're still having problems with Scooter herding people when they leave the house. We've tried "go to your place", leashing him (which only makes him more anxious), distracting him, spraying him with a water pistol or bottle. Nothing works. He always seems to know when someone is getting ready to leave and starts circling in a crouched position, then barks and charges when they start out the door. He hasn't nipped or bitten anyone, but it scares the you know what out of our guests. I know I need to get him before he gets to that heightened frenzy, but he's not always within reach when this whole thing starts. Funny thing is, he doesn't bark when someone comes in. :rolleyes: I'm obviously doing something wrong. :D

The simplest interim solution (until you can come up with a real training plan to fix the issue) would be to explain to your guests up front what the issue is and tell them to let you know when they are ready to leave before they make any move toward doing so. When they give you the signal, you go get the dog and either put him in a crate or behind a closed door in another room in the house. Once you have your regular guests trained to give you warning when they're ready to go, then you can start working on a training program where SCooter remains in the room, but leashed, and in a stay, or something similar--that is while you train him to behave himself while people go out the door. Each time he gets away with it, he's self-reinforcing, which is why I'd move him to another spot in the house when the guests give the word until your guests are used to giving you a warning before they get ready to leave.

J.