BC Boards

Trials this weekend - WHO is a 'must see'

HELP... I'm attending these trials this weekend. I'll be there (and I get to meet Kitch & Dublin) on Friday evening, Saturday & Sunday. There is a long list of competitors. Can anyone tell me who is an absolute "must see" or who your favourite is??? Here's the link with the competitors names.

Thanks

http://www.canadianbordercollies.org/champs06.htm

Here's my list, some of whom are friends that I'd want to watch and others who are just good handlers I'd want to see run, in no particular order (I have starred board members' names):

Robin French*

Sam Furman*

Bev Lambert

Amanda Milliken (last year's National Champion)

Gene Sheninger

Cheryl Jagger-Williams

Bob Stephens

Nancy Obernier*

Warren Mick

Walt Jagger

Barb Levinson

Linda Tesdahl

Lori Cunningham

Jeanne Weaver

Kate Broadbent

I'm sure there are some other good folks to watch, but I don't know them, so can't recommend. I'd recommend watching as many runs as you can, no matter who's running.

I don't have a particular favorite, but certainly I'd love to see the friends posted in the list above do well!

J.

Thanks Julie! I'll try to catch those folks for sure. My plan is to be there for as many of the runs as possible. I have to make sure I have full battery power in the video camera too!

Albion Urdank's Corey is terrific when the two of them have their "A" game. Corey is older sister to my littermates Twig and Gray. (In fact, Corey's the reason I got Twig and Gray in the first place! :rolleyes: I'm a huge Corey fan.) And I'd be interested to see Albion's Buck run in Pro-Novice --- Buck's a rescue, IIRC.

Video? did someone say video of border collies working? :rolleyes: I can never see enough of that!

Be sure to let us know how it was, and give us all kinds of pictures (and that video too! :D ).

I wish I was going.... *sigh*

Have fun!

Originally posted by Black Watch Debatable:

And I'd be interested to see Albion's Buck run in Pro-Novice --- Buck's a rescue, IIRC.

Luisa,

I loved working/training Buck; I hope he has found the right match. He came VERY close to sticking in our home, but his hip wasn't quite right. He is my kind of dog!!!! It was really tough to pass on him after spending several weeks working with him; but in the end we were too full to take a risk on a trial dog that had a bad hip. We returned him to the person who rescued him from the farmer's barn.

Mark

Ye gods, Mark, small world...!

Albion's patient, smart and kind with his dogs. Collies of mine that wouldn't work for anyone else would work for Albion -- and they'd work much better than they'd work for me :rolleyes: At a trial back in January he was telling me about Buck (who was 1st in Pro-Novice that day) ... turned out to be from cattle lines, or something...? [Luna was with me, in a splint, and I'm afraid she had most of my attention.] If you can share more, I'd love to know Buck's history.

Poor Kris, we'll all be badgering you for copies of the video! :D

:rolleyes: - only if I can figure out how to post videos! I am so looking forward to this - It's been a tough year and I really could use the R&R that this will provide And...I'm sooooo excited about finally finding a trainer I can get to in less than 8 hours Life is good :D

Luisa,

Buck's history is that he and his brother (Henry) were owned by some folks who kept them together in a dog run, never allowed out except for apparently one time when the kennel blew over. As far as I remember they had basically no socialization and no training. The woman who rescued them does tax assessing and met these owners and Buck & Henry while on the job. They ended up giving her Buck and later (I don't remember how long) called her and asked if she wanted Henry too. I believe they were a couple of years old, maybe even three (Henry at least) by the time she got them. They are out of McCallum lines. (The funny thing is that people are always giving her dogs--and some of them turn out to be pretty nice!)

We joke about how neither dog will win any beauty contests (Henry especially). They look much the same, though Buck is the handsomer (which isn't saying much for Henry! :rolleyes: )

If you want the complete story from the source, I can put you in touch with the owner.

J.

Julie and Mark, thanks so much for the info! It's great that these two dogs were rescued AND given work to do.

Julie wrote:

We joke about how neither dog will win any beauty contests (Henry especially).
Goodness, what is the matter with you folks!?! Yeahright2.gif Henry is one of the handsomest dogs ever! :rolleyes: Slick coat, not much white --- he's BEAUTIFUL!!! Buck's doing well out here. McCallum lines... Hmmm... Maybe I can sneak over to Albion's and dognap, er, liberate him :cool:

I believe there are times when Albion would gladly hand Buck over [...]and perhaps Henry would like to become a permanent resident of CA!
Aw, I know you were only joking, but... not even in my wildest dreams :rolleyes:

The thing about having this particular big (55 lb), strong, selectively dog-aggressive male pit bull is that bringing another male dog onto the property is out. of. the. question.

Sneak fell in love with Lulu at first sight and is absolutely great with all my other females. But another male...? Not gonna happen :D [note to self: win Lotto, buy ranch, build wonderful roomy kennels...]