BC Boards

Wild Buffalo and Blue Wilderness

Tommy Coyote

Does anyone know about a class action suit in California for toxic levels of lead? This just came across my Facebook Page. I have not heard this before.

The article said that this company has a 9 year history of problems with the quality of their products.

I have customers who feed this and think it is a really good food.

That is Blue Buffalo and Blue Wilderness. It is 3 am here and I need coffee.

Not to be confused with Taste of the Wild.

I just got Whole Dog Journal'S Approved Dog Food list and these are not on there. Taste of the Wild is on their list.

That is an interesting list. There are some foods on the list that are very affordable.

Blue Buffalo has a long history of quality control and shady advertising. I sure wouldnt feed it. They went after Purina because Purina uses by product meal and BB didnt. So Purina had BB food tested by an independent lab and that showed that B.B. also used by product meal. And sued them for false advertising

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I hate that almost as much as Royal Canin's ad claiming that "This is a Labrador retriever. This is a golden retriever. They may seem similar, but when you take a closer look the details tell a different story. These dogs eat, digest and process energy differently...." And so they have to make over "200 specific formulas for cats and dogs...." (https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AnAH/royal-canin-incredible-in-every-detail)

Srsly? Whoever believes that BS deserves to pay more for their dog food. :lol:

I don't like BB, etc, because of the lies told that are passed off as 'advertising' and overall shoddy product. No, this isn't the first time they've run into trouble.

The romantic notion they sell as dogs being wolves, just cuter and friendlier, simply offends me.

Ruth & Gibbs

Well, in many way, including digestively, dogs are wolves, and classified as a subspecies of wolf.

Which of course means that they have no dietary needs for carbohydrates, which is the basis Blue Buffalo's food. That's what really offends me about their BS claims.

I'd have to look it up, but I've read that wolves eat EVERYTHING of their pray, including the digestive tract. And that they start eating at the stomach, as it has no bony covering and is the easiest way in to the carcass.

Scat collected shows that the grasses, etc are digested. I think, (and I could be wrong) that means they are not obligate carnivores, like cats are.

If you've read Never Cry Wolf, (Farley Mowat) he talks about analyzing wolf scat, and being surprised to find out that the vast majority of their diet in winter time Alaska, at least, was rodents that they'd find under the snow. If memory serves, the scat consisted of bones, fur, & cartilage of the wee little mice, meaning that the wolves had digested what the mice ate. Which would be largely seeds, etc.

I'll have to go read that again, wonderful book. I had forgotten that Mr. Mowat died in 2014.

Ruth & Gibbs

Wolves are classified as facultative carnivores, meaning that they do best on a diet primarily of meat but that they can eat and survive on other foods, though they generally will not thrive on non-meat diets for any length of time. So no, not obligate carnivores like cats.

Research that I've read shows that wolves don't eat the contents of the rumen or stomachs of larger prey. Yes, the begin with the gut, but it's mostly to get to the nutrient dense internal organs that are eaten first. When they do eat the stomach, they shake out the contents before eating it.

Generally speaking, when wolves supplement their diets with plant materials, it's fruits in season, and sometimes grass. And yes, they'll get some plant material when eating whole, small prey. When I give my dogs whole rabbits, they eat everything, including stomachs and intestines. And they definitely eat the internal organs first.

I don't like BB, etc, because of the lies told that are passed off as 'advertising' and overall shoddy product. No, this isn't the first time they've run into trouble.

The romantic notion they sell as dogs being wolves, just cuter and friendlier, simply offends me.

Ruth & Gibbs

Same here. And I tell this to people when I get the opportunity.

And I say it to the woman who is always in the store where I get dog food who is always trying to steer me toward BB.

I was at a store today and the baggers were talking about dog food. My bagger told the other one that he only feeds BB because he wants his dog to have the best while the other bagger only fed his dog human food because he wants his dog active and lean. They got quite the education...

I saw where BB has been sold to General Mills for 8 billion dollars. There is huge money in the dog food business. I am just hoping that Fromm doesn't sell out.

Petsmart just bought out Chewy because they wanted to get in on the lucrative mail order business.

Wolves are classified as facultative carnivores, meaning that they do best on a diet primarily of meat but that they can eat and survive on other foods, though they generally will not thrive on non-meat diets for any length of time. So no, not obligate carnivores like cats.

Research that I've read shows that wolves don't eat the contents of the rumen or stomachs of larger prey. Yes, the begin with the gut, but it's mostly to get to the nutrient dense internal organs that are eaten first. When they do eat the stomach, they shake out the contents before eating it.

Generally speaking, when wolves supplement their diets with plant materials, it's fruits in season, and sometimes grass. And yes, they'll get some plant material when eating whole, small prey. When I give my dogs whole rabbits, they eat everything, including stomachs and intestines. And they definitely eat the internal organs first.

I recently read some data to the same effect. Wolves go for the internal organs of large game first, yes, but they favor the heart, lungs, liver, etc. As for the stomach and intestines, the report I read said they are more apt to tear and shake those to dislodge the contents and then eat the linings. Which makes sense to me.

Of course wolves will eat small prey whole for simplicity's sake, but the argument out there that wolves deliberately eat half-digested vegetable manner is apparently incorrect. Whatever they eat is incidental to the meat they prefer.

My two cents, anyhow. :) Although historically speaking, we could say that domestic dogs over the past 15,000 to 30,000 years have learned to live on almost anything, since they've spent most of that time living on our midden heaps and leftovers. (And in much of the developing world still do.) The concept of a balanced diet for dogs is new only in the past 75 years.

Yeah. I hate that almost as much as Royal Canin's ad claiming that "This is a Labrador retriever. This is a golden retriever. They may seem similar, but when you take a closer look the details tell a different story. These dogs eat, digest and process energy differently...." And so they have to make over "200 specific formulas for cats and dogs...." (https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AnAH/royal-canin-incredible-in-every-detail)

Srsly? Whoever believes that BS deserves to pay more for their dog food. :lol:

Every time that comes on TV, my hubby and I do a collective "WFT?" :ph34r:

GREAT discussion, thanks for the further info about dogs/canids digestive processes.

Advertising plays, IMO, to the need/desire that many people have to be 'special'. And by extension, their dogs are 'special', too. I haven't seen the ads claiming that different breeds have different digestive systems, but don't doubt for a minute that it's out there. What a load of hooey.

Ruth & Gibbs

I find it hard to believe that anyone actually believes that load of hooey.

No, wait, this is America. I don't find it hard to believe.

As the great P.T. Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

You can convince Americans of anything if you tell it to them often enough in living color on their TV sets.

Just saw a Snopes report on Blue Buffalo and the lead tainted food. It isn't true. It was a rumor that got started.

No recall. One man started the class action suit after he self tested the food.

Only recall they have had was one for too much natural beef thyroid in some food.

Well, in many way, including digestively, dogs are wolves, and classified as a subspecies of wolf.

Which of course means that they have no dietary needs for carbohydrates, which is the basis Blue Buffalo's food. 9That's what really offends me about their BS claims.

Dogs differ significantly from wolves, especially digestively. They are much better at digesting starch, which is a fine energy source for them.

"No dietary need for carbohydrates" is therefor not entirely correct.