67 replies to this topic

#61 Carson Crazies

Carson Crazies

Mad Spaghetti Noodle Lady

• Registered Users
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

Looks like it, showing off some mighty sexy legs I might add. *whistles*

Oh Becca, what a tragedy! What could you possibly have been thinking taking on such a poor example of a Border Collie?? :rolleyes:
Laura Carson
Nick, Linc, June, Pia, and Ginger
RIP Zippy (Jan 11, 1994 - April 9, 2012)

Crooks and Crazies

#62 Keegan's Mom

Keegan's Mom

• Registered Users
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Columbia MO:
Anyway, I made Repo out to be much worse than he is out of a sense of comic hyperbole--in other words, I had started this thread to be a comic story of a zany day in the life of one 6 mos. BC puppy!

When both my dogs were 6 months old, they did not act like this. I did not let them act like this. This is just an excuse to now get everyone to forget the things you have stated in this thread.

Of course, I have one of those pups that is related to Becca's...so I may just have an abnormal dog. Keegan was also raised in an outdoor barn/kennel.

#63 Loretta

Loretta

• Registered Users
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

OH NO! GASP! My dogs were both outside in a BARN/KENNEL until I got them!

Does that mean they are like your dog Rachel?!?And Becca's dogs??

Whatever will I do?!?

Loretta
Ace, Zip and Klink

#64 Jodi

Jodi

• Registered Users
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

"This is just an excuse to now get everyone to forget the things you have stated in this thread."

Rachel -

By golly ... I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Jodi

#65 Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest

• Registered Users
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:29 AM

Good grief! This thread makes me realize how lucky I have been with my two nuclear-powered monkeys! Both were "toerags" when they were puppies, but nothing like this! Things got chewed up, but that all stopped when teething was over.

It's fortunate that I had taken "early severance" from my job, and was about all day (in fact, dog senior was acquired to beat the boredom I was suffering!), but even I have to go out without dogs sometimes!

Nowadays, I'm not fit enough to control a BC on a leash around town (arthritis in both hips and spine), so when we go for the weekly shopping trip, the Boys have to stay home by themselves, for about 4 hours at a time. They seem to manage perfectly for these periods (perhaps because they know there may be a reward for peaceful behaviour?), because I never see blood on the walls, ripped furniture or burst doors!

On another board, some of us members have been discussing whether or not it is physically possible to wear out a Border Collie! I find that over half an hour chasing balls on a beach gets me about 15 minutes of quiet.......
Posted Image

These lads are from working stock - just the "accidental by-blows" of farmyard skulduggery, with no paperwork whatsoever. One is scared of sheep, the other doesn't see why he should bother making the effort!

Sorry to be of no help, I just wanted to say how lucky you made me feel!

Snorri
:rolleyes:

#66 Freeman's Mom

Freeman's Mom

• Registered Users
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:12 AM

Hi. I'm the referred to "lurker". I've met Repo numerous times and I think he is a normal, well behaved pup.

What has impressed me about him is despite his puppy mill background, he appears very social to both people and dogs.

The Lurker

#67 Miztiki

Miztiki

• Registered Users
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

Have you taught Repo to "go find it"? In the morning while you are getting ready for work you could hide his kong/ball/whatever either inside or outside, then have him go find it. That would provide some mental stimulation for him and allow you to get ready for work.

You could also teach him the names of his toys and have him go find a certain toy. That would require more thinking on his part. I think something like that would be better than a treadmill.

After work you could bring him into the yard to blow off some energy. Just stay out there with him so that he can learn to stay out of the flowerbeds. Mine won't dare step foot in mine or I'd make the earth split in half and swallow them whole.

If you're unable to have someone let him out halfway then I would definately shrink the area he is allowed in, including the outside run. You don't want him to practice anymore bad behaviors while you're gone. The longer it goes on, the more ingrained it becomes, and the harder it will be for you to correct it.

Plus alot of other advice already given. I'd like to see you succeed with him.

#68 Jodi

Jodi

• Registered Users
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

Taryn -

Thank you for your interjection. "Normal," "well behaved," and "social to both people and dogs" is the bare minimum we, as a society, should expect from breeders who are taking it upon themselves to play God with dogs' genes. It's not something they should be patted on the back for.

I just want to make it clear to any newbies reading this thread that while "normal" "well behaved" and "social to both people and dogs" are all very nice things to have in a pup, it does NOT equal "well bred." It goes way beyond that.

And to make a full circle back to the original post of this thread, I'm glad to hear that Repo is normal and well behaved ... as all we were trying to tell Sharon is that he's a typical puppy from working lines who is exhibiting typical working line puppy behavior, and the reason it takes Sharon by surprise is because, as much as she would like to claim that Savvy works as well as any dog from working lines, he's still show bred, through and through.

Jodi

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.