Devastation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 denice

denice

• Registered Users
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

I can not begin to comprehend the devastation that those in the path of the wildfires through CO, KS, OK and TX are dealing with.  The amount of land burned is unimaginable.  Charred black ashes as far as you can see.  Land that just weeks ago held cattle, horses, sheep and hog now that 'life' is gone.  The promise of spring and new life no longer holds true.  Ranchers that have worked their lifetime to build their herds and flocks have been gathering those animals that survived the fire to end their suffering as quickly as possibly.  I know the heartache of needing to shoot an animal, can't imagine that task when hundreds of animals are involved. 

Generations of hard work lost in minutes.  More blood, sweat and tears is all that remains in some places.

There are no numbers yet for loss of animals.  I bet it will be in the millions.  Those that do have cattle have lost their hay, feed, grazing, fences...  Homes and building, equipment touched along with the land.  Yes there has been loss of human life.  Ranchers in TX trying to save their herd brings tears to my eyes as I think of their families. 

"The numbers are unbelievable. It has been reported that over one million acres have burned—460,000 acres in Kansas, 400,000 acres in Oklahoma, 325,000 acres in Texas and 30,000 acres in Colorado."

The bright spot in all the tragedy is the farmers and ranchers from all across this country that are helping these folks.  Hay is being donated by the semi load, fence supplies are headed that way also.  Donations of money and time and labor are being received with open arms.

Please donate if you can

The High Plains Journal is doing a good job of reporting

Keep these folks in your prayers when you look outside  seeing green grass and livestock grazing and babies bouncing in pastures - remember how lucky we are.  Remember how quickly it can all go away.

#2 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Device,
Thank you for your post. I have been reading some reports (BTW I heard over 2 million acres burned in one article). It is so sad that I find it hard to read more than one or two articles.

I have donated, and am so proud to hear of other donations -- because I doubt that much help will be coming from this administration.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#3 dawnhill

dawnhill

• Registered Users
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

A catastrophic wildfire went through our ranch some years back. People don't realize how drastically it impacts your finances and life for a very, very long time. Even a lot of donated hay coming to the region is not enough if there's lots of livestock needing it, and local prices go through the roof -- provided you can find hay at ALL come January. Some people even pounce on the donated hay deliveries specifically so they can store it and sell it at a markup later in the winter (though you would think this would not happen, but we saw it ourselves). The old cedar fence posts that are so common in the west burn and their wire is turned into nasty charred curlicues of blackened and brittle stuff you have to remove and replace. About the time you get some of the fence put back, it rains. Then floods and erosion tear out fences that were left until then, and even rip out parts of whole pastures or bury others in deep mud. The reason I'm saying this is because after it happened to us, I decided that in the future I would point out to people that they need to remember the impacts of such a thing (and that goes for things like big hurricane floods and such, too) are long-term. It just helps, if it's you who's in it, to not have people tell you after a month or two that you must be ok now and go away. So if you know someone in the burn area, remember to ask them how they're doing come summer and again when winter rolls around, and next spring. They'll appreciate the long-term support, whatever it is, even just emotional.

#4 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife, horses, sheep farming, sled dogs, falconry

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

yes, i am  thinking of them. there is a orphan calf support networkthat is on fb

#5 Riika

Riika

• Registered Users
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

It's terrible, just terrible. Do you have a link where I can donate? I know someone posted one on FB a couple days ago, but I don't know where it went.

~Kailey~My blog. http://annesalpinesd...ts.blogspot.com<p> 

#6 76 Bar

76 Bar

• Registered Users
  • 44 posts
  • Location:Behind the Redwood Curtain…where the grass grows tall.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

http://angus.media/N...s-Band-Together

The fires obliterated the hard won accomplishments of dedicated ranchers in four states. In many cases, a lifetime  dedication (often multigenerational deep) to exemplary livestock and land mgt was obliterated in the blink of an eye.

God speed the four courageous, vibrant people who sadly died in vain while attempting to rescue cattle.    

Particularly gut wrenching was the frequently repeated comment by ranchers that they'd run out of ammo to put the agonized, dying survivors out of their misery…and/or requested assistance because the task had rendered them emotionally spent.    

#7 thefner

thefner

• Registered Users
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

I live in the Texas Panhandle. Though my little town was hazy, the fires were more than 75 miles away. As many have said - it is unimaginable, unthinkable, so sad. After one tries to get one's mind around the loss of human, livestock, and wildlife lives, and around the loss of years of building a herd of flock, then there's the loss of fencing. At approximately $10,000/mile, can you imagine even CONSIDERING what it would take to start agsin?? It's totally overwhelming to me - and I am personally unaffected! I just can't imagine what these people have gone through, and what they face ahead each morning. But I can tell you the highways are humming with trailer loads of hay and other supplies. Absolutely humming! There is still good in folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.