BC Boards

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Three Years On

jdarling

From the KC web site

Bulldog and Pekingese fail Crufts vet checks

08-Mar-12

No dog representing the Pekingese and Bulldog breeds will compete in Thursday evening’s Best in Group competitions at Crufts after they failed the new veterinary checks that have been introduced to the show.

The Best of Breed award was not given to Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, or Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million, following their veterinary checks, which were carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means that the dogs will not be allowed to continue into the Toy or Utility Best in Group competitions respectively.

A small start.

If you want to see a proper GSD at about 25m

Let's hope some of the people watching will be around on pastoral day when they can compare her with the poor specimens in the breed ring.

This is great news. A start in responsible action by the Kennel Club. I e-mailed the KC to applaud this action. We have to work to get them to change, and now it's time for a little positive reinforcement. Here is a link to the e-mail comments page on the KC website.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/about/contact_us.html

And kudos to Pedigree Dogs Exposed and Pedigree Dogs Exposed: 3 Years On. I think these

are the best agents for change so far.

ETA: Here is the e-mail address for Passionate Productions, home of Jemima Harrison & Pedigree Dogs Exposed and Pedigree Dogs Exposed: 3 Years On should you wish to congratulate them as well.

http://www.passionateproductions.co.uk/contact.htm

I wonder why they don't do health checks on all the dogs entering the best of breed competition, so that the Best Of Breed winners don't end up being unhealthy and unable to move on to Best in Group/Actually get the title? :huh:

Good, but not great.

Found this on a website called "vetstreet."

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/veterinarians-kick-out-champion-purebreds-at-crufts-dog-show-for-poor-health

"Veterinarians sent the Best of Breed–winning Bulldog and Pekingese packing, denying the dogs the chance to win the prestigious competition. They did so after finding that the extreme structural features of the dogs were incompatible with life as normal, healthy dogs."

Was it an eye injury or a breathing issue for the bulldog? I read it was an eye scar and no one mentioned anything about the smushed face.

Who knows atm? The exhibitor says old eye injury, but they would, wouldn't they?Doesn't matter really - the breed is a train wreck and shouldn't be shown anyway.

Found this on a website called "vetstreet."

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/veterinarians-kick-out-champion-purebreds-at-crufts-dog-show-for-poor-health

"Veterinarians sent the Best of Breed–winning Bulldog and Pekingese packing, denying the dogs the chance to win the prestigious competition. They did so after finding that the extreme structural features of the dogs were incompatible with life as normal, healthy dogs."

Elimination should have happened before these animals (and others like them) even stepped into the ring for their first class. They still have all the prestige of BoB and whatever other wins, and this won't stop them from being used for breeding. Too little, too late - even though it is a step in the right direction, but a small step. I am still pleased to see something positive happening.

They still have all the prestige of BoB and whatever other wins, and this won't stop them from being used for breeding. Too little, too late - even though it is a step in the right direction, but a small step. I am still pleased to see something positive happening.

I understood that they will not be awarded BoB after failing the vet check.

Note that the Clumber Spaniel has also been eliminated for bilateral ectropion, a defect so glaringly obvious even to the untrained eye that they should never have been in the ring.

It remains to be seen if this is a real sign of willingness to change or a one time sacrificial gesture that will be used to demonstrate that they have "changed".

I understood that they will not be awarded BoB after failing the vet check.

Not that the Clumber Spaniel has also been eliminated for bilateral ectropion, a defect so glaringly obvious even to the untrained eye that they should never have been in the ring.

It remains to be seen if this is a real sign of willingness to change or a one time sacrificial gesture that will be used to demonstrate that they have "changed".

Great! I wonder how much effect that will have on the future of these dogs as breeding animals. Significant, I hope.

Archived