A little rant - neutered? or not?

13 replies to this topic

#1 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Just shaking my head:

I just checked Craigslist for border collies (I do this every few months, just because), and saw a listing for rehoming of an middle-aged border collie. The woman found him as a stray about a year ago and admits that he is NOT up-to-date on vaccinations and is not microchipped.

But here is the kicker: She doesn't know if he is neutered.  Say what???

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#2 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Where's the face palm emoticon when you need it?

If it makes you feel any better, when Bodhi was transferred from the shelter in KY to the rescue in PA the rescue was surprised when they met the last leg of the transport. They'd been told they were getting a female Aussie mix.

Now I can understand the breed mix up; not everyone's breed savvy and he has brindle points, which I assume someone misidentified as merle.

But female? Srsly? And he wasn't neutered. :rolleyes:

“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive.” - Gilda Radner

#3 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Jovi - And I'm thinking she never had an interest in much to do with this dog anyway? 

Roxanne - Sounds like no one bothered to take a peek while the dog took a leak... ;)

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#4 nancy

nancy

Dixie's Old Fogie

• Registered Users
  • 3,176 posts
  • Interests:Grandgirl, cycling, reading, needlework, Dixie & Maggie, Chuck

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Or taken the dog to a vet?

#5 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

All of the above ^^^^.  :wacko:

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#6 aschlemm

aschlemm

• Registered Users
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, dog training, horseback riding, reading.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate and suggest that perhaps she didn't see testicles but thought he could be bilaterally cryptorchid????  (Not likely, but. . . . .. )

#7 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

I would say "unbelievable", but I know that when you are talking about human beings, nothing is unbelievable.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#8 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,724 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Once, when I was working as a vet's assistant, we got a cat in to be spayed.  She belonged to an elderly couple, and they had had her for quite a while.  The cat was examined by the vet, and then placed in a cage to await surgery.  Later, she was prepped for surgery - belly shaved - and then, in the surgery, knocked out and tied down on her back.  The incision site was swabbed with Betadine and the vet was about to cut when I interrupted him. 

Standing at the foot of the table I had noticed that the cat was sporting a rather impressive set of testicles. 

The cat was duly castrated and the elderly couple changed his name.

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#9 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Standing at the foot of the table I had noticed that the cat was sporting a rather impressive set of testicles. 

And the vet had not checked??  I guess I can understand it since the old couple had owned the cat for a while so he assumed they knew their cat, but it is important to stay on your toes.

Jovi

#10 aschlemm

aschlemm

• Registered Users
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, dog training, horseback riding, reading.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Ha Ha Ha, I love it!!!  I work as a Vet Tech and we do have things like that happen.  I know to check out the plumbing when the pet is anesthetized.  Typically we have "emergency spays" on semi feral cats.  The owners are terrified that they will have kittens to deal with, once it is netted and injected and asleep an  exam is done and it is found to be a well fed "he" not a pregnant "she."

#11 rushdoggie

rushdoggie

• Registered Users
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate and suggest that perhaps she didn't see testicles but thought he could be bilaterally cryptorchid????  (Not likely, but. . . . .. )

He'd still have plumbing quite evident on his belly.

"one dog shy of a crazy dog lady..."

c933f85e-d7ab-4b06-a588-a46b423e82d1_zps

#12 ljcygnet

ljcygnet

• Registered Users
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

True story:

For several years when I was a child, we had a friendly tuxedo kitty. We had him neutered, so we KNEW he was fixed.

One day, he disappeared. We figured he was gone for good ... then a month later, he showed up again! Yay! The other cats were all cool with him, dog seemed to know him (she chased strange cats), and he moved right in and seemed to be his old self, albeit with a few new quirks in his behavior.

One of those quirks was spraying, which he'd never done before.

So we hauled him off to the vet to see if he had a UTI or any health issues.

Vet said, "Neutering him will help with the spraying."

"... but he is neutered."

Nope. Not neutered. And, as the vet observed, they don't grow back.

The second tuxedo cat was with us for several years after that. He got neutered in a hurry, though, because of the spraying.

#13 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

LOL! YUM

Jovi

#14 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Oh man. I don't know where the 'YUM came from. I am on my phone which sometimes does weird things.

Jovi

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.