BC Boards

Kennel cough in 8 month puppy

CSW

It appears my 8 month old BC pup may have kennel cough. It does sound like some clips I listened to on utube. She was exposed to it 16 days ago after an older dog at her training facility came down with it and she coughed a few times the past few days. At the time, I gave her some a spoonful of wet dog food mixed with water and that seemed to stop the coughing, so I was not worried. My pup received the Bordetella nasal vaccine and the booster injection last summer. Today the coughing is not constant but has increased in frequency, happening a couple of times over 5 hours, and no other symptoms are present. She is being more difficult today (mouthy) and urinated in the house, but that may be because it is -16 outside, so she is not out much. My question is do I need to take her to an emergency clinic or should I wait and call my normal vet tomorrow? Information on the internet indicates it is more dangerous in young puppies. Is 8 months old enough to be okay? The house is dry, so I have been running both a vaporizer and humidifier. Should I have her in her crate to keep her less active? Normally she is only crated at night. I have never been through kennel cough before so any suggestions are welcome. Do you think I should plan to stay home with her tomorrow?

From your description it doesn't sound like an emergency. I don't bother the vet at all for kennel cough as long as my dog is eating and drinking. It usually sounds worse than it is and it will go away on its own. I don't go to the doctor if I have a cough that is a. Inconvenience rather than making me ill.

A healthy 8 month old should be fine but I would be more concerned about a dog that has existing heart or breathing problems.

Kennel cough is such a diverse group of diseases that no vaccine is going to cover a dog against them all so I don't bother with the intra nasal vaccine. I can't remember when any of mine last caught it, must be over 10 years despite several epidemics.

However, the caveat must be that advice on line is given without seeing the dog and if you are at all concerned you should consult your vet.

I don't go to the vet for kennel cough either, unless my dog becomes very lethargic and stops eating and drinking. It really is like a human cold, so rest, good nutrition, and maybe being crated near the vaporizer if the cough gets too bad are about all you need to do. It's very young puppies and older senior dogs that have problems with it. I also don't vaccinate for it.

Thank-you. The article was interesting and my main concern was answered. I would not have bothered the forum at all except all the internet pages said it could be serious for puppies. Sounds like 8 months is outside that caveat. I will keep a close eye on her and contact the vet if she gets worse.

Carolyn

Just thought I would let you know we got by with a light case. From 1st cough to none was 5 days and she was never really bad. Day 3 was the worst and the day I asked for advice on the forum. She improved enough on her own that we did not go to the vet.