BC Boards

Losing Hair

I know every Fall our Border Collie "Cody" has started getting his winter coat and loses alot of his Summer coat. But this year he seems to be losing fur at an awful high rate. Is there anyone else in the northeast experiencing this? I guess I am trying to say he seems to be losing more hair than he has in the past. Could this be a sign of a hard winter? He is a dog that has a warm kennel in the garage with access to an outside fenced in yard, but spends the nights in the house. Was wondering also if the changing in the temperatures could be messing him up like this? I use to leave my dogs in the garage most of the time before because of doing Law Enforcement work with my dogs I always felt they worked better in the winter if we got called out in the middle of the night. They seemed better with the cooler temperatures. Once they slept in front of the wood stove they were hard to get up to go to work.

Bruce

I have noticed the same with my Cody. I also thought about the "weird" weather we have had in PA having something to do with it myself. It was extremely warm here Fri and today so it makes sense. I gave him a good brushing yesterday and he STILL sheds like crazy and I brushed out about half a bagful of hair-dontcha wonder where they keep it all? He is a thick coated BC so he has more hair than I ever imagined considering my first BC, Zeus was a thin coated and I thought HE shed-LOL!!! I also noted that his back leg hair is really growing and the older more brittle hair is almost gone finally from so much growth, so that's a plus...

Thanks Kathy, I was afraid that the problem was just with me and Cody. I know a couple of the shepherds in the department were 'blowing" their coats but not at the rate of my Border Collie. And the 3 bloodhound handlers said they didn't notice any change in their dogs coats either. Of course both the shepherds and bloodhounds have shorter and finer hair than Cody so they probably wouldn't notice it as much.

I feel the weather has to play a part in it but to how much I don't know. Thsnks for the reply.

Bruce