BC Boards

Help. Spooky dog.

I am taking care of a very spooky golden. I am having a terrible time getting her to go outside. She's just afraid of me. She comes right back in so that's not a problem. She has to go out a door and through the garage and then out a side door. It's kind of a long way when she'S scared.

And we have major rain coming and that will make it worse.

Spooky dogs are the hardest ones I have to deal with.

Any ideas?

Specifically try warm hot dogs (heated in the microwave for 30 seconds). My dogs go crazy for them, and even my trainer's spooky Belgian will very carefully take them out of stranger's hands. I'd lock the other dog somewhere else while you try and bond with the spooky one.

Don't try to make friends with her. That makes it worse. Talk to yourself (explain everything you are doing to her, even if it sounds stupid). Don't make eye contact. Curl your body inward, slump your shoulder, turn your head slightly away, move slowly and speak softly. If she ever tries to approach you, keep this posture. Do not turn around to greet her. A gentle (not excited or high pitched) "good dog" if she does something you like. Try to use words she knows if the owners left a list of commands. If she likes food, carefully toss treats to her.

Hot dogs in small doses should not make her sick. I slice the hot dog into quarters, lengthwise, and then slice those strips into tiny pieces. That way you can give lots of treats without it all adding up to even half of a hot dog. I hate using hot dogs for treats because of all the nasty chemicals in them, (I won't eat one, myself), but as a last resort they can be magic, and you are in a situation where whatever works is what you need to do. Good luck.

h, and considering the season, small pieces of turkey might be good too. :-)

yup lots of rain! and getting icy last night. Stay save driving! as for the dog, the smellier, tastier the treat the better luck you will have. Additionally toss them to the dog then back up a step or two. repeat and see if that works. I find
Yummy Chummies (salmon treats) or Sella and Chewies (fancy dog food) will work with many dogs

Hot dogs are working. I can't get very close to her but she'S beating me outside now as soon as she sees the package of hot dogs.

It's so crummy out here today. Not pouring down rain anymore but soggy and freezing. One weather guy said it'a the worst thanksgiving in 50 years.

Don't try to make friends with her. That makes it worse. Talk to yourself (explain everything you are doing to her, even if it sounds stupid). Don't make eye contact. Curl your body inward, slump your shoulder, turn your head slightly away, move slowly and speak softly. If she ever tries to approach you, keep this posture. Do not turn around to greet her. A gentle (not excited or high pitched) "good dog" if she does something you like. Try to use words she knows if the owners left a list of commands. If she likes food, carefully toss treats to her.

This.

My dog doesn't like humans other than his family to be too familiar. The harder they try to "make friends" the more uncomfortable he is.

Worse yet, people who follow the rules and don't try to make friends become comfortable for him, so he relaxes, then they see him relax and think "oh he wants to be friends now." No, really, he doesn't. And now he's learned that you can't ever relax because even people who you thought were cool will try to get in your face.

He LOVES my petsitter because she never, ever does. She is exceptional. And thus, she is his friend because he can trust her to not violate his personal space, and he does politely whatever she asks, tail wagging.

... I only go up there maybe once a year so she doesn't remember me.

Sure she does. I'm always amazed at dogs' memories for people. But if she's a fraidy dog and sees you so rarely, she's still afraid of you. :(

It sounds like you've made great headway with her, at least as far as getting her to go where she needs to go for you. She will remember those hot dogs next year and associate you with them in a positive way, especially if you remember to use the postures Liz taught you. ;)