BC Boards

Airplane Travel With A Dog

Just thought I'd share the experience of moving my dog with me across the world.

We decided to move to the Netherlands this year. This meant Nelson had to fly in the cargo hold with us. First of all we had to find the right airline to fly with and after doing some research we picked KLM. This was one of the few airlines that I did not find anyone who had a bad experience. Plus, they charge a flat rate of $200 to add the dog.

The paper work was surprisingly easy. Print a form from the Canadian Health Inspection Agency, get the vet to fill it out 10 days before we leave and then get it verified by the Official Government Veterinarian. We had to microchip him as he didn't have one and he needed another Rabies shot (his was still active but the papers needed to state a recent one). Got him a crate, with some tips from this forum, he loved it within days.

At the airport we had to go to the service desk where they checked all his papers. The KLM people were SO friendly and great with the dog. They were doing all the right things and giving him love, letting him roam around the office and just make him feel super chill. We got the paper work sorted and then they told us we got to hang out with him up until 15 minutes before we got to board. Then they allowed us to check the rest of our luggage through the Priority line-up so we wouldnt have to stand in line with him. We also got priority and fast track stickers to make everything go even quicker.

Then we had to get his crate checked for any hidden bombs or drugs, opened the door and he went right in. Someone came to put him on a little cart and off he was!

Before we got on, another KLM lady came and changed our seat to ones that were in the front of the plane so we could get off quick to get to the dog. Once on the plane, they told us when he was on. When we landed, I got my lugagge and then had to wait at the Service Desk in Amsterdam to pick him up. We were told that the dog would get of after all the lugagge because of security reasons. Quite quickly another person told me and another guy waiting that they were ready for us in the hallway behind the Service Desk. I got there and Nelson seemed normal, was just panting. We did not give him any sedatives, sleeping pills or anything like that. I just took him for a long 2 hour beach / forest walk before the flight and kept him awake until we left.

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to open the crate until after customs. We walked up to customs and the guy asked me "how much is your dog worth" so I told him a million dollars to me... but probably only a $100 to anyone else. He didnt laugh much. He asked for my papers, blinked at them and off we were! As soon as we got out of customs, he got out and was his own happy self. No signs of any stress. It's been two days now and he does not seem the tiniest bit affected.

All in all, it was a completely stress-free experience for both me and Nelson. And Nelson can get stressed and is skittish at times so I'm super glad. I would do it all over again and would recommend anyone flying with their dog, to fly with KLM!

post-14214-0-98416000-1419437619_thumb.png

post-14214-0-63235900-1419437627_thumb.jpg

Liz when I flew Rievaulx into Heathrow we had to fill out a customs form for him and declare what we paid for him as VAT is paid on dogs in the EU. As he was a rescue nothing was owed, as that is regarded as a donation.

We should have flown into Holland, as it sounds like your experience was much less stressful than hours flying BA into Heathrow. Glad he made it safely.

So you pay tax on an animal you might have owned for 12 years? What if you only paid a few hundred but the dog is now worth many thousands as a result of training and winning competitions?

I've only every heard of paying a sales tax on newly purchased dog.

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.

Interesting topic - about stating a dog's 'market value'. Not sure it is common? Or at least I have never heard it discussed from agility competitors who go over to EU for top trials. I would like to learn more. Anyone? (What about handlers bringing sheepdogs?)

Dear Travelers,

I've never had to state a value on a sheepdog traveling to or from France, Ireland or the UK. When I brought Jake and Fly in by air cargo UK to Dulles, I had to get customs forms stamped which was a PITA mostly because the officials were so busy discussing what they were planning to do that weekend they had us wait forever.

Donald McCaig

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.

Interesting topic - about stating a dog's 'market value'. Not sure it is common? Or at least I have never heard it discussed from agility competitors who go over to EU for top trials. I would like to learn more. Anyone? (What about handlers bringing sheepdogs?)

In the UK import VAT is chargeable on the import of a dog purchased less than 6 months previously. This would apply to someone relocating from outside the EU to an EU country. This may vary from country to country within the EU.

There are also Temporary Admission provisions that give exemption from tax for dogs that aren't going to be staying long.