BC Boards

5/6 month bc weight

Hi! That seems on the big side to me - but she could just be a large girl! Without seeing her it is tough to really tell.....

Part of knowing if your pup is fit is how she looks and how she feels. I prefer a lean pup to a rolly polly pup. So I should be able to feel their ribs a bit when I run my hands along their sides and see a waist line on them.

Annie is 6.5 months and she's 38lbs. Not sure how tall she is, never measured but she is very lean. Not skinny but she's long and lean. Our 8 year old, Tiga, is also 38lbs and they're about the same height so I suspect our Annie will be a bit bigger then Tiga.

Our dog was around that height and weight when we got him at 8 months and looked as if he'd been starved.

He weighs around 12lb more now and is still on the lean side as he needs to be for agility.

Build plays a major part though - a fine boned dog could be fat while a heavier built one could be thin at the same height and age.

I can't tell anything from those pictures as far as body condition, but I CAN tell she's super cute! :) She may just be a big girl, because she's still got some more to go at 5/6 months, but not a whole lot.

She is the same size as my two adult males. :lol:

My female is a year and weighs 35 lbs. She gained most of her weight by 7 months and slowly put maybe the last 6 or 7 lbs on last couple of months.

On a side note she went into heat at 11 months.

I wouldn't count on that. Many go into heat before a year old. In fact, every Border Collie I've owned has gone into heat between 8 and 11 months old. That said, being around an older bitch in season can bring in a younger dog. I sold a bitch that didn't live with any other dogs, and she didn't come in heat until 18 months old.

Well for Keeva I would say right after I brought her home.

One way I trained this effectively was I would take her to the horse fields at night and call her name one time, and wait. After she would come and sit in front of me I would pet her and tell her what a good girl.

Now at a year I say her name and come. She immediately comes.

Sunday I took her to a farm to look at sheep the farmer wasn't concerned about the leash so I took it off she stayed with me and when she wandered she would come as soon as I called.

Shi's father is absolutely massive, and it looks like Shi is taking after him. At 7 months, he's now just over 50 pounds - actually a little bit trimmer now than in this picture. He grew ridiculously fast - so much so that we switched him to a large breed kibble formula to try to slow down his growth - there was one 2 week period where he gained just under 15 pounds! There were a couple of points when he was a pudgy puppy, but he's never really been overweight - and he's got a lovely little waistline now.

post-13747-010444100 1346249382_thumb.jpg

Also she doesn't really have the drive to learn tricks and stuff. She knows her basic obedience, but she doesn't really wanna be mentally challenged. Any suggestions?

If this is true...

Yer doin' it wrong.

What makes you think she doesn't want to be mentally challenged? How have you tried to "challenge" her?

It's highly possible that I'm doing it wrong I'm not an expert lol. I have tried hide n seek games tracking etc... But she is starting to get better now. I'm just thinking she's finally fully opening up. I got her from an abusive person, so previously she was beat and such. She used to run from her leash because she was beaten with one. Was really sad.

It's highly possible that I'm doing it wrong I'm not an expert lol. I have tried hide n seek games tracking etc... But she is starting to get better now. I'm just thinking she's finally fully opening up. I got her from an abusive person, so previously she was beat and such. She used to run from her leash because she was beaten with one. Was really sad.

That would certainly explain why she's reluctant to try new things. Afraid of punishment for getting it wrong.

My old dog was like that and whilst he went on to do pretty well at agility and what little competitive obedience we did, he was never as keen as the others at going beyond his mental comfort zone.

Having said that, once he had learned something it gave him confidence to know exactly what was expected of him and he was happy to do it.

So forget what BCs are "supposed" to be like. Every dog of whatever breed or type is an individual and needs to be treated as such.

Just take it easy. It will probably take more patience and ingenuity on your part than you ever thought you had but you can make it work.

Pam