BC Boards

Working Cattle

ShoresDog

This is actually one video taken this morning, at Anna Guthrie's ranch. The dog is Cross, and she is working four new calves who aren't habituated to dogs yet. The file was too big for YouTube, so I had to split it into two parts. (There's probably some better way to do this, but I don't know it yet. The video was shorter than the 10-minute upper limit. Any suggestions?)

Here's Cross:

Crossandcows1.jpg

Crossandcows2.jpg

Anna, and clockwise from by her elbow -- Tikkle, Daisy, and Sabre.

Annaand3dogs.jpg

Daisy & I, making a wee bit of progress. Baby steps!

JanandDaisy3.jpg

The greyish-green plants in the field behind the arena are those eucalyptus greens that you often get in cut flowers. Periodically they are pruned and the trimmings burned, which smells fantastic. Like incense.

Thanks, Jan, for posting the video and pics...poor Cross, she just couldn't quite get them settled enough to get them in. Of course, there were 2 times that they were actually 99% in, but her owner/handler, Russ, put just a wee bit too much pressure on them from his side and pushed them out. :rolleyes: Penning...finesse...

Anna

ETA: Oh, and the dog on the left in the group shot is Sabre, my 12 year old...I keep meaning to get some shots of him working for that "oldies but goodies" thread...soon! And all three in that photo qualify for the "thin stripe" thread!

Now see, I wasn't going to mention the handler messing it up for the dog but I'm glad someone cleared her good name! She handled those calves very nicely to my inexperienced eye - she adjusted extremely well over time.

What's her breeding? :rolleyes: 'Scuse my ignorance.

The eucalyptus is funny. I was reading how it originally got to California and ended up all over the place. It was a scam. People were told it would grow really huge and be valuable as scented timber for furniture. I think there's a species that actually is good for this. But it's not the one that was sold to hapless farmers all over the state, who found out that it is useless as any kind of timber, AND is pretty much a noxious weed (except for the small niche market you mentioned).

I grew up in San Francisco and I'm violently allergic to eucaplyptus. I can't imagine what would happen to me if someone burned it near me - I went into shock a couple differnent years when the eucalyptus in the park near my house bloomed during a really dry spell (usually it blooms during the rainy season).

It's amazing to me how well the dogs work the cattle. I've only watched sheepdog trials, but I think I might have to catch a cattledog trial next time I get the chance. I like sheep, but cows are "scary". Neat videos and I love the pictures of Anna and her handsome crew.

Now see, I wasn't going to mention the handler messing it up for the dog but I'm glad someone cleared her good name!

Of course, I couldn't let that go, as penning cattle is a skill that this handler often has some trouble with. I maintain that it comes from a background of team penning, which means fast as you can, shove 'em in that pen! Just the opposite of the finesse needed for really penning them.

What's her breeding?

She's out of Lauren Holmes' Puzzel dog (always in the money at any cattle trial, and, IMO, the finest, most consistent dog, sheep or cattle, that I've seen over time), by (the recently late (Butch , not Rudy)) Butch Wilson's Rudy. Rudy was bred, trained, and trialled by Jimmy Walker of Texas, and was Open Reserve Cattle Champion in '03. These dogs are line bred to Wisp on the grandmother's side, and to Stetson on the father/grandfather's side. My Tikkle is out of Riddle, a full sister to Puzzel, also sired by Rudy. It's a family thing... :rolleyes:

Anna