BC Boards

Bid

btrent

It's been a week and I can barely speak about this but could not post until now. I had to let Bid go on May 12th due to an aggressive case of pancreatitis that was attacking his entire body. It was completely unexpected and unexplained as he was not a candidate for pancreatitis. I am heartbroken and devastated but I had to free him from the terrible pain. Finding out, however, that what he had would not affect my other dogs, has brought me some closure and a bit of peace in the past day or two. I've posted some photos on my blog and there is a video posted by a dear friend who owns Bid's littermate.

Bid was a dear, sweet wonderful boy who had only begun to show us his potential in the working world. He has left us way too soon. He was not quite 10 years old.

Once again, I am saddened to see a fellow dog lover who has lost a beloved friend. I hope these words bring some solace:

Go in peace, my valiant friend. Suffer no more; sweet sleep has come. Be welcomed by our friends; they have blazed a path for you to follow. Wait patiently, for I will join you again, your keen vision restored to lead our way, your strength renewed, for we shall journey on together forever. I learned from your courage in the waning of your days. You fought bravely through the pain, a whimper never passed, always by my side as I was by yours. Your battle is over, our grieving begins. Your place in my soul will always remain filled. So rest now in peace, my gallant companion, knowing how much I loved you and will miss you at my side.

~ Eulogy originally posted by Baby’s Dad when his beloved Zeke passed on

Via con Dios, Bid

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is so painful to lose a beloved dog, and even more so to lose one that should have had good years ahead, I think, as there is also the loss of what could have been.

Good dogs live on in our hearts and memories.

Billy - I am so very sorry... Bid was a beautiful dog and I have fond memories of that gorgeous dog working out the kinks in flyball. I know losing a beloved pet is painful, and to lose them so suddenly is even worse. Please know my heart pours out to you...big hugs coming your way...

I'm so sorry.... :rolleyes:

I am so sorry to read about Bid. They are never with us long enough. :rolleyes:

I hope this will help a bit.

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder. These are good places in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost, if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death and down the well remembered path and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, or resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is the heart of his master.

Thank you all, very much for your kind words about Bid, both here and elsewhere. It is all very much appreciated. Still having a tough time here but putting one foot in front of the other and focusing on the other dogs.

thank you again,