BC Boards

Reverse sneezing?!? Weirdness.....

bc soul sista

Hey Ya'll......

My younger bc(4 yrs old) has been doing this weird "reverse sneezing" thing off and on for the past yearor so.....It literally sounds like he can't breath/snorting..generally sounds awful!!! Sometimes can go on for 30 seconds or more until he seems to swallow...but then it can start again a minute later....

I have scoured the internet and asked around, even the vet...the only thing anyone could come up with is this "reverse sneezing" crap that's normally common in bracheocephalic breeds....

Well #1-now the other 2 dogs are doing it occasionally....ok, is it a coincidence that the other dogs are doing it aswell?? Could there be some kind of sickness present? All symptoms I see of upper respiratory infections in dogs have "coughing" or nasal discharge or SOME other symptom to which these dogs have none....

#2 - it seems to be getting worse...especially at NIGHT when we are trying to sleep!!!! I started giving him a couple Benadryl at night...thinking it may be allergies? Sometimes it seems to help...but last night I was up about 4 times to the sound of him having a breathing/snorting FIT!!! I actually had to resort to holding him in bed..(he was panting from stress)..and petting him..this seemed to calm him and the breathing/snorting fits stopped completely for the night....

I just feel terrible, he doesn't appear to have any other symptoms...I'm not sleeping, he's not sleeping...I would like to avoid medications beyond Benadryl..

Has anyone had ANY experience with this? I am just at a loss?

My Papillons have all done this to some degree. The one who did it worst had a partially collapsed trachea (from collar damage, one of the reasons I tend be overzealous about warning people about collar pops). He also had an increase in the reverse sneezing when he got old and had heart trouble.

I doubt heart trouble would be an issue because all of your dogs are doing it, but maybe he has a seasonal allergy or something amiss in his throat?

My Farleigh does the reverse sneeze thing a lot. Sometimes giving them a treat will stop it. I'm not sure what to tell you about him waking you up do it. Farleigh doesn't do it as night as far as I know (or I sleep through it).

I don't think I've ever read anything about it being related to allergies, but I imagine that's possible.

J.

My dog does the reverse sneezing thing as well.

My vet said it was due to allergies ... and I noticed that when my friends with allergies were having bad allergy days, the dog would get the reverse sneezing episodes (not sure what kind of allergy it is though).

SO frustrating.....I thought maybe the dryer winter air is irritating it even more? I don't know what else to do...thanks for trying :)

Maybe sleep with a humidifier?

Is there any chance he could have hurt his neck when playing or something?

Also re: antihistamines, theres more than Benadryl. I can't recall what it is right now but I had a dog with allergies and she took something different. Might ask the vet to try a different type. I know as a human with wicked hayfever many allergy meds do nothing for me.

Scooter used to reverse sneeze sometimes. Read somewhere to blow in their face--that would stop it. Tried it once. He stopped alright and came back fighting. Never did that again! :blink:

Do you live in an area where mold is an issue? This is the time of year that we start to have issues with it and we have a JRT that has problems with it. That's the first symptom we see with her. I haven't found anything that will stop these attacks before they start, but she has never had an attack when I've had the humidifier on for my daughter with asthma so that may work.

• 3 weeks later...

My BC does this too! It scared me so bad the first time I heard her. It looks like she can't breathe! She just does the reverse sneeze thing a few times then it seems to be over. It looks really violent. I wish I knew why she was doing it.

You can give dogs zyrtec once a day. The dosage depends on the weight of the dog.

When all my dogs came down with some upper respiratory infection (not kennel cough), I was told to give them zyrtec. The smaller dogs received a 1/4 pill to 1/2 a pill once a day and the 30lb plus dogs received 1 pill a day.

Dogs can also be prescribed hydroxyzine (atarax or something is the real name).

Dogs can also be prescribed hydroxyzine (atarax or something is the real name).

Yes, if allergies may be the cause, you might ask your vet about trying hydroxyzine. It helped Speedy through this past horrific allergy summer when Benadryl could not get the job done.