BC Boards

Border Collies Herding Ducks???

Joe Anne

I would like as much input and or advice on this subject as possible. Is is ok or not to let a dog who is taking herding lessons with sheep, and still very new at it, train "on" (for lack of better words) ducks? Would it interfere with sheep herding? Are certain personality dogs better suited for ducks or not? Phoenix is VERY strong and determined. Would ducks just exacerbate his "snarkiness"? Soooooo many ????????

Phoenix and I have been taking herding lessons for almost a year now, and there is either so much time in between, and/or pretty long distances to go for training with sheep, that I am wondering if ducks would be ok in between? I don't have the acerage for sheep, but ducks would be ok, I'm sure. My schedule is usually off from everyone elses, so the times I can train in between clinics would be odd times of the day or week (I am retired so I just am not on the same clock as most people). Sometimes that is good! :D sometimes not :D

Maybe it is just my ignorance since I am pretty new at herding training myself, but I just can't see how ducks and sheep even begin to "herd" the same way?

I have heard that there is a certain breed of duck that is better suited???? yes/no?

I really want to get educated on this. I don't want to do ANYTHING, that would mess up my boy's training, or my training and learning for that matter.

Anyway, like I said.... any and all advice pro or con.... I would appreciate... :rolleyes:

I'm not fond of "herding" ducks (just never got the point), but have certainly seen it done. My own dogs, given the opportunity at a fun jackpot thing in the evening of a great cattle trial, did not recognize ducks as stock to be worked. However, having seen it done, it seems that the dogs must certainly stay way back off the ducks, or you get a mess. So, it seems to require quite a bit of finesse. Now, I don't know if that would make a dog backed off stock enough to interfere with working sheep or not, but, if this qualifies as an analogy, when working sheep (for trialling, as opposed to everyday ranch type work), if a dog is backed off enough to not be grippy on sheep, sometimes (for some dogs) that can back a dog off too much for working cattle. Could it be the same with ducks vs. sheep? I honestly don't know. But that, if anything, would be my concern. Hopefully, those with duck experience might be better able to answer this one.

Anna

ETA: I think most people prefer Indian runners...

Don't try to train Phoenix on ducks. Just from what I've seen of him, he needs everything to stay very consistent right now. He doesn't like surprises! :D

Ducks would indeed bring out just about the worst in him. They smash up against walls, act like drama queens, and they need a very sensitive eye to settle.

It would cost about $150 to raise a little flock of ducks to working age (unless you had a local source of free adults). That's a lot of gas money that you could put into just taking Phoenix to sheep more, which is what you both need at the moment. :rolleyes:

Thank you both so much for your words of wisdom! Rebecca.... you nailed it, as far as knowing my boy Phoenix. My gut has always wanted to steer away from ducks anyway, and alot of the reason is because of Phoenix's attitude, but I really want to work him more than I get the chance to waaay down here in Southern Md. so I thought I would seek out advice here from my BC friends. I agree however, the $$ would be better spent travelling to a good trainer, which I have found BTW.

You are right about consistency with this boy. He does very well moving >forward< with his "consistent", training. As a matter of fact, at the Spring clinic, Jack said Phoenix, is making good progress and that I am now becoming the problem , because quote: "I am trying toooo hard"! HA! no suprise there.

Stockdogranch.... what you said about the dog having to stay back off the ducks or it would be a mess!! hmmmm, well that in and of itself, is a really, really good reason to "nip the duck herding idea in the bud!", because like Rebecca said... Phoenix, dosen't like suprises, and I agree, it probably would bring out the "worst", in him, which we are finally getting a handle on.

It has been a long road, but he is finally growing up, and his attitude has improved majorily, and I believe it is mostly due to he herding training!

Anyway, thanks ya'll very much! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Joe Anne,

FYI: This video-link is Aled Owen working runner-ducks with his tri-dog; 'Gwyn' (ISDS 248002)

http://www.clevercollies.com/videos/GwynGoesQuackers.mpg

Gwyn is the only one of Aled`s dogs that will happily work ducks, Gwyn just seems to have the right timing, and body language, but it`s not common even in good working blood-lines to be good with both sheep and ducks (as Gwyn is)....even Aled`s former World Ch. dog 'Bob' really hasn`t got either the patience or the temperament for ducks. :rolleyes:

My own dogs (one is Gwyn`s son) when put with ducks to work, will look about (everywhere except at the ducks) trying to spot the sheep! :D

Deb.

I used to have about 10 Indian Running Ducks to play around with when my puppies were really young about 14 years ago. I have a video tape of my one puppy at 16 weeks working the ducks that some University students made for a project they were assigned. They put the video to the music of the song, "Every Breath You Take" by the Police.

It still is my favourite vidoe of any of my dogs. :rolleyes: