BC Boards

Australian video huntaways then bc penning

PennyT

About 15 or 16 years ago, I was given a video made from a television program. The first half was of huntaway trialing; the second, of brace shed then pen set to music. The program was filmed in Australia or possibly New Zealand. I loaned or misplaced the video years ago. Does anyone know where to get another?

Penny

Probably New Zealand where they are used most. I have a friend there I was just talking to and she's trying to track down a huntaway trial video she has. Probably more recent than what you are talking about.

There's several short videos of huntaways on youtube and other similar video upload sites, and there's one set to music of huntaways and what I think are heading dogs, working together, sort of an "all in a day's work" thing.

The first half of the video included a narrator explaining what was going on in a huntaway trial on three sheep up a hill; the format was typical of a program designed for the general public unfamiliar with a particular stockdog activity.

The second half is the part I'm really after. I remember it had some funny moments with just the right music chosen to go with handler gyrations at the end of a rope...sheep penning bloopers set to music.

I wish I'd gotten several copies made because I've never seen anything like that program again. Some friends in Saskatchewan recorded the show off of Canadian television.

Penny

Little Huntaway story, we had a organic farmer that has a small herd of cattle show up a few months back with her New Zealand Huntaway, she was looking for help to get her dog to stop barking. Why some one would decide that a Huntaway was the right dog for a small Iowa farm is beyond me. I had to laugh, regarding the barking, the owner was so wrapped on in having a dog that was bred to bark that she had encouraged him to bark, trying teaching it a "Speak" command, the dang thing barked at everything, even the rattle of the chain on the gate, she had it offering a bark at every stimulation. For some reason she thought she had to teach the dog to bark, I couldn't get it through her head that she needed to teach the dog when to bark, not to bark, the dang noisy thing already knew how to. Beside the misguided barking, he was a nice dog, handled the sheep well.

He gave me one heck of a laugh before he left, I got him to the point where he was not barking at everything, only when he wanted the sheep to move and they refused, he was starting to look like he was on the right path, handed him back to his owner, he proceeded to walk over and piss on her husbands leg, and she let him.....hopeless...not the dog, the owner. It would not surprise me if a nice Huntaway does not end up in our local shelters, I've heard that they have allowed him to get aggressive with other dogs and now kids. It is sad, he's a really smart dog with nice balance and feel for livestock. If it wasn't for the internet these people would have never known that a Huntaway existed.

Deb

• 3 weeks later...