BC Boards

Revelance of breed selection...

Debbie Meier

Thought I would share this PDF, maybe most here have already read it. Just yesterday the announcement about the Boxers being accepted into the herding tests made it rounds to me again, made me wonder if the generic herding test is now something that any average dog can be taught to do, this article kinda touches on it.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/publications/154426276_The%20Relevance%20of%20Breed%20in%20Selecting%20a%20Companion%20Dog.pdf

It's 62 pages, so I've read only the executive summary so far, but this seems to be the main point of the report:

...Since a majority of dogs in the U.S. are of mixed-breed ancestry that cannot be reliably identified even by professionals, since, even among purebreds, breed is an unreliable predictor of behavior, and since most of the behaviors associated with specific breeds are only tangentially related to desirable and undesirable qualities in pet dogs [emphasis added], the practice of relying on breed identification as a primary guide in either ped-dog selection or dangerous-dog designation should be abandoned. [emphasis added]

I think it's entirely possible for most obedient dogs to be trained to do a generic (AKC-type) herding test. Because the stock are expected to be well broke to all types of dogs and the area in which one works is small, any dog who will reliably take commands should be able to work those stock through a generic test. What the dogs lack in any real stock sense would need to be made up by the human having some sort of stock sense, but then again, if the courses are generally the same and the stock pretty much "know the drill," then it's possible that even the hopelessly stock non-savvy would be able to get the average obedient dog of any breed around such a course.

J.

...then it's possible that even the hopelessly stock non-savvy would be able to get the average obedient dog of any breed around such a course.

J.

So that just about anybody could take just about any dog out to find its "inner herding dog" on the poor sheep that belong to somebody who can make a buck off that sort of thing. Isn't there a "training facility" on the West Coast that does that already - anything from a Chihuahua to a Great Dane? Or so the website brags?

...made me wonder if the generic herding test is now something that any average dog can be taught to do.....

You already know the answer to this question: "yes".

This is a well designed test (with proper livestock selection) to yield the highest possible success rate for dogs which show interest in livestock. Note I didn't distinguish between various types of interest in livestock (i.e. prey drive). The only differences I see between this test and treibball (in terms of herding instinct) is the object can move on its own power and can be stressed.

I would find it interesting to see how many of pet owners who view sheep as acceptable dog toys would then object to such rough treatment of food animals in livestock yards.

" Just yesterday the announcement about the Boxers being accepted into the herding tests made it rounds to me again, made me wonder if the generic herding test is now something that any average dog can be taught to do, "

Not only is the herding 'test' something any obedient dog can learn, but also can 'succeed' at the Advanced level of kennel club trials. It is all about their perceived prestige of titles and HITs(High in Trial) and money. In the Canadian herding program, they have always allowed any breed to compete. AKC is just catching up. lol

I have seen the Boxer 'work'; he is a lovely friendly dog and willing to do anything asked of him. But not an iota of herding instinct. He does not harm sheep. Certainly no more than many of the 'herding' breed dogs.

regards Lani

I tell people that ask (other farmers) when they ask if they can use their regular farm dog. And if the dog is obedient enough and the sheep are not challenging a regular old what ever can work. My mini schnauzers will move sheep, my Giant Schnauzer would move sheep, not working, just obedient; Many of the "herding breeds" can move easy sheep because they are obedient. But put in a tough situation, i'd chose any of my border collies, even the old or young and untrained over the "other" breeds

I hate when people call and ask me if i'll instinct test their what ever....they just want to play with their dog and think itll help with their energy levels and instinctual desires..BLAH

cynthia

I have had people who want to bring their non-herding breed dog out to "play" with sheep...not a lesson but want Fluffy to play wiht sheep....I politely tell them we are a serious herding facility and then point them to the other place. However, if someone wants to herd with their pet herding , and may never be interested in trialing, but want to herd, we welcome them. Some of them do get hooked and then, they get a working dog, and the rest is history. Some like to spend time wiht their dog that love to herd. either way, they have the right mindset.

I have people sign a waiver and tell them sheep repalcement fee is $250. Some balk and they won't sign it so I point them to the gate.

Those who stay, I tell them "our" responsiblity is the safety and welfare of the sheep. They do get it and after a while, they start to recognize some of the sheep and their quirks. Some of them even go as far as saying "Ear tag ## has a tendency to bolt, or whatever"....and then notice if a ewe is a bit off. They are on the path of being a good shepherd when I see that in them.