BC Boards

How to deal with a dog that likes some other dogs but not others

Hi everyone -Just looking for some suggestions for dealing with a dog who likes some dogs but not others.We have a great boy who is 17 months old,neutered and great in so many other ways but his unpredictable reaction to other dogs is getting frustrating.He went to puppy socialization and obedience class and walks most evenings with a group of dogs which he is fine with.Sometimes other people in the neighbourhood join us and that's often where the problem is.He doesn't seem to like the 2 male black labs in the area but it is not limited to just them.He acts like he wants to see them,tail wagging and excited but when he gets close he lunges and growls(and I know it's not a let's play growl).We always do our best to correct him -we have tried using "No",grabbing him and pulling him away,even pinning him but it doesn't seem to help.We don't expect him to "like" every dog but is it possible to change his reaction ?

Part of your issue may be the on leash greetings. They allow dogs to approach in a way that is unnatural (dogs don't naturally walk up and greet someone by looking them in the eye) and the tension on the leashes can add to the apprehension and "something to look out for" mood in the dog.

I'd start teaching him to just ignore other dogs. Reward focus on you and calm behavior. He doesn't need to greet other dogs, he just needs to stay calm around them. How close are you before he starts reacting? It sounds like they're pretty close/next to each other. If this is the case, probably just staying several feet away while at the same time rewarding calm focus may be enough to solve the problem.

Hi Chip's Mom ~

Does he react this way to dogs who share similar behaviors or personality types? It's possible that what you see as simply a happy, jolly, friendly lab (or other friendly dog) may seem to him like a pushy, scary, obnoxious beast who might do ... well, something scary. Also, by pinning him, I presume that means you're pushing him down? That could only heighten his alarm, because you're rendering him helpless in the face of what he perceives as an invasion or threat.

Perhaps you need to look at what those dogs are doing or how they are behaving, that sets him off. Some BCs are just hyper-sensitive to dogs that they perceive as being simply "too much," whether it's too much energy or too friendly or the other dogs getting too close too soon.

So, you might need to pay attention to the types of dogs he's reacting to, (by type, I mean behaviors, not breeds) and become aware of his comfort zone. Don't let other dogs bull into his personal space when he's on leash, and become aware of the distance at which he starts to react. You'll see his body language and expression change before he lunges. So, if you take note of the distance at which he starts to react - whether it's 5 feet, 10 feet, 20 feet, or whatever - then you can start working on things to nip his reactions before they start.

For example, if he starts to stiffen and glare at 20 feet from these dogs, stop him at 25 feet, ask him to sit, get his attention and give him a treat. Then over time, you can start to close the distance and help him shrink his "bubble" of safety.

But remember, you can't do this if the other dogs are loose and plowing into his space, or if the other dogs' owners aren't working with you and keeping their dogs in hand.

These are just some ideas. There are folks here with way more insight and knowledge in re-training these kinds of behaviors, so I hope you'll find the answers you need. :)

~ Gloria

Hi everyone -Just looking for some suggestions for dealing with a dog who likes some dogs but not others.We have a great boy who is 17 months old,neutered and great in so many other ways but his unpredictable reaction to other dogs is getting frustrating.He went to puppy socialization and obedience class and walks most evenings with a group of dogs which he is fine with.Sometimes other people in the neighbourhood join us and that's often where the problem is.He doesn't seem to like the 2 male black labs in the area but it is not limited to just them.He acts like he wants to see them,tail wagging and excited but when he gets close he lunges and growls(and I know it's not a let's play growl).We always do our best to correct him -we have tried using "No",grabbing him and pulling him away,even pinning him but it doesn't seem to help.We don't expect him to "like" every dog but is it possible to change his reaction ?

The advice you've received so far is spot on -- my addition is to use targeting as well. Teach the dog to "touch" and when another pup comes along that he may not like, you can gain his attention to you by offering your hand and asking for a "touch". It lets him know that you are there and you are in charge and won't let that big, black Hound of The Baskerville hurt him. I've used this with our Brodie, along with the other methods described (knowing the distance he will tolerate), avoiding "on-leash" greetings -- these are just not a "best practice" for any type of dog.

As for not liking selective other dogs, or types of dogs - it's understandable. Brodie goes wild at the sight of an Aussie, the "Lassie" collies with their pointed noses. I've decided he thinks the "Lassies" are some weird kind of sheep. An Aussie attacked him in puppy class, something he will likely never forget. On the other hand, he loves Beagles and other small, medium size short haired dogs.

Liz

Thanks for the feedback,folks.It all certainly makes sense.My daughter and I have discussed before the behaviour of the labs as maybe being seen as rude by Chip .I guess its something we are just going to have to keep working on ,and in the meantime be cautious with our boy in these situations.

My Border Collie/Lab mix hates Labs. She is actually very much a dog who enjoys other dogs, but Labs and Goldens annoy the heck out of her.

The thing that helped most was playing the Look at That Game from Control Unleashed with her. I did this on the sidelines at Agility class, as people came in and out with Labs and Goldens, and as they ran on the courses, but it could be done on the move during walks, as well.

To this day she does not love them, but she ignores them unless they get right up into her face.

If you aren't familiar with the program, it is worth checking out.

Jack dislikes Labs also. They are too "in your face" for him. When we walk at a nearby park, it never fails that there will be big dorky labs there with owners trying desperately to control them. Lots of times we will step off the path and let the dogs pass and then continue on our way.

Cindy will go off at my son's Pit-Lab, but will play fine with the in-laws Goldens. In fact, she's fine with most other dogs. There's something in the eye to eye contact with the Pit that makes her just explode. If I didn't hold her back she'd eat his face. I'm no expert but think it's a dominance thing, especially with Cindy being on the old side. I can't control it so I'm of no use other than I see the same behavior that you do.

Add me to the list. My dog hates goldens, labs, and any barrel-chested dog like a pit bull or bulldog. And, honestly, any other dog who charges at him without playing a very delicate game of circling and avoiding eye contact first.

Buddy is like a dog who accepts only the most thorough, by-the-books version of doggie meeting. He demands that other dogs approach in a wide curve, bypassing faces and going slowly to butt-sniffing. He loves it if the other dog actually freezes or even lies down for a while before bursting into a flurry of happy greetings: apparently in this distant manner, my dog can get his bearings and a reasonable scent-familiarity. If another dog is on his butt, he's fine, but when the other dog is in his face, he can only hold it together for a few seconds before the direct contact makes him snarl and snap.

Buddy's got a handful of dogs he loves, and a whole bunch he tolerates. New dogs are a challenge. But I've given up the dream of having a big goof who can be allowed off-leash to romp with playgroups. My dog is perfectly fine as long as other dogs don't charge us, so I just make sure I don't put him in that situation.

Mary

Black dogs have faces that are hard to see and that makes it harder for other dogs to read their expressions and facial cues, so if those two labs are not that great at their 'canine communication', your dog just might be put off by something they are doing (or not doing). Generally speaking, my reactive dog is more reactive towards those happy, love life labs and goldens. She just doesn't appreciate them jumping and running right up into her face. She is super sensitive to direct eye contact and she is terrible towards intact males.

With on-leash meetings like this the dogs are not given the chance to introduce themselves properly... they are likely forced to meet head-on, which is likely to set quite a few dogs off. Even my super friendly dog ALWAYS approaches every dog he meets in a wide arch. Leashed or un-leashed.

You've been given great advice and I will second "Look at that" from Control Unleashed. I use it with both my dogs in various ways.

Using aversives (grabbing, pulling, yelling, pinning) to 'teach' your dog not to react to something is only going to make it worse and/or confuse him.

Another here to be added to the list. Jude doesn't like labs, or any exuberant over the top personality dog. He's very rule oriented and wants to go through the proper first meeting "dance" before getting to play. A dog that rushes over to him, tries to jump around and tries to tackle and play right away, is very bad doggy manners-wise. Social faux-pas, and my dog will let that dog know, If I don't catch it, he will snap and pin the other dog down, with full on snarls, never teeth, but to people who don't speak "dog" very well, it looks ugly. He also doesn't tolerate pups who are holding on to puppy hood too long, once the reach 4 months old it's time to act like a real dog and he won't give them the puppy benefit anymore.

It's up to you to teach your dog to not react so harshly and be ever vigilant. And not respond with a harsh punishment either. Because yes, we don't like to see that behaviour, but in dog world, you're dog is technically in the right. How would you like it if a stranger ran up to you, jumped on your head and back while being high in hysterics? Frankly, I'd turn around and punch the sucker. So when my dog get's harassed when he's minding his own business, even if that dog's owner says "he's super friendly, he just wants to play" and he reacts as such, all I'll do is calmly reprimand with a time out if it's in class setting, or walk away if we are outside of class.

Archived