Photo

How much should I worry if Kit doesn't eat breakfast?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

4health brand dog food has a pork formula dog food. And as a raw feeder I feed pork in my regular rotation of meats.

I think there's a lingering bias against pork for dogs because of it's past association with parasites. But commercially raised pork in the US has no more risk of parasites than meat from other species these days. Plus, fully cooking the pork always destroyed the parasites anyway (this is the reason pork is usually well done, even over-cooked and not served more rare. It's not because it tastes better that way; it was just safer. Freezing for a time will also destroy parasites.

One thing I'd suggest though would be to make sure she's getting enough calcium. That can be a challenge when we're putting together odd mixtures of whatever we can get a sick or elderly dog to eat. But the consequences can be severe. If we don't get enough calcium, over time the body will start to draw it from our own bones (same with dogs) to meet its other needs.

One way you could add some extra calcium (other than the obvious dairy products) is adding ground eggshells. Raw feeders will use 1/2 tsp. for each approx. 14.2 oz. of meat (odd amount as I converted this from metric) if they're not offering other bones. I think it would roughly apply to what you're feeding, too. Just let the shells dry and grind them finely in a blender or food processor, preferably one with a glass bowl. They'll sand the surface of a plastic bowl, making it look cloudy. No real damage, but it doesn't look great.

Another alternative, if she'll eat it, would be to cook chicken backs overnight in a crock pot. Just cover with water and let them cook until the bones become soft and mushy. They're completely edible that way and could be a nice addition to her food as a topping. Hopefully she'll like it. It smells pretty great; I've been tempted to eat it myself when I've made it. You could add veggies or rice right into the crock pot if you wanted to.

I'm happy to hear Kit's eating breakfast, at least for the time being. I hope she continues to eat for you.  Best wishes for both of you.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#22 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

I forgot about kitten chow! I had a sweet little black/white cat who Would Not Eat. Vet told me if I couldn't get some food in her in 48 hours, he would need to force feed her.

I tried EVERYTHING. Angel wouldn't even look at any of it. Then I saw a box of Purina Kitten chow on a grocery store shelf, brought some home, and she dove into it. Ate 3/4 or so of kc every day for 3 days, gained her weight back. Then started turning up her nose at the kc and demanded regular kibble.

I was re-reading the post and saw the suggestion about kitten milk replacer. Kc might work as well.

Ruth & Gibbs

#23 CptJack

CptJack

• Registered Users
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Also fish, if she's into that at all can be great. 

I'm not suggesting catfood outright because that can lead to stomach upset for a lot (the milk replacer is usually pretty universally easily tolerated by both cats and dogs) but canned salmon/tuna/sardines/etc can smell to high heaven and really entice picky dogs. 

Or turn them off completely, depending.

#24 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Gentle Lake, thanks for the reminder. I have some good quality dog vitamins and also some seaweed calcium designed for dogs who are fed raw, so I will start adding both to her food. 'Course, if she doesn't eat it, they won't benefit her.

Today, she would not eat the combo that she ate with gusto yesterday morning. (ack)

But, later on I was cutting up some sirloin   ( :rolleyes: ) I had bought for her, intending to cook it, and offered her a raw piece and she ate it. So I gave her a bunch more, and she ate it.

So, I didn't cook the meat, cut up and froze it instead, and will offer it to her raw first, can always cook later.

If only she would eat the same thing each meal, I would feed her anything. I mean, sirloin isn't cheap, but doesn't cost much more than premium dog food, and I'd rather spend the money on the meat.

I may try pork, cooked. Thanks for letting me know that it would be OK.

I had not thought of cat food, 'cause I always heard it was bad for dogs and cats to eat each other's food. But I will try a small bit maybe on top to see if it entices her. And thanks for the canned fish idea. worth a try also.

I weighed her yesterday and she was back up to 42 lb. So, I'm not as scary-worried as I was.

Even so, I am going to make an appointment and get blood tests run. Just to get a picture of what is going on inside her.

Thanks again for all the support. It helps not to be dealing with this alone.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#25 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

I had not thought of cat food, 'cause I always heard it was bad for dogs and cats to eat each other's food.

AFAIK the problem is when cats are fed dog food, not the other way around. The reason is that cats have nutritional requirements for certain things, especially taurine, that are beyond dogs' need for them, which is why cat food is more expensive than dog food. So if cats are fed a steady diet of dog food they can end up with some significant problems. I don't think the extra taurine would hurt a dog, though you may want to confirm that with your vet to be certain.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#26 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thanks, Gentle Lake.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#27 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Cat food doesn't hurt dogs in small amounts but it isn't nutritionally balanced for dogs. It is too high in protein. It can cause gut problems and a steady diet of it can cause pancreatitis.

#28 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

OK, thanks. Cat food will only be used as a topper, and will not be used if something else is working. :-)

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#29 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Oh, it doesn't hurt to use it like you are using it. It has a very high meat content and is really stinky so dogs love it.

I was just commenting that you don't want to feed a steady diet of cat food to a dog. It isn't nutritionally balanced for dogs and the protein content us too high. It isn't good for dogs long term.

#30 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Cat food doesn't hurt dogs in small amounts but it isn't nutritionally balanced for dogs. It is too high in protein. It can cause gut problems and a steady diet of it can cause pancreatitis.

Good to know. Thanks for that info.

#31 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Just an update -- it seems that Kit never wants to eat when she first gets up in the morning, but will eat if it is offered to her at 9, 10, 11.

So that's good. :)

Worried, though, as I am going away for 12 days in August and the person coming to stay here and look after her and the cat probably will be going to work before 9 or 10 in the morning. Don't know how I will manage that. She could leave the food down, but I suspect the cat would eat it. And in the summer, I hate to leave anything out for long.

As for dinner, she seems to be doing better with that. I wish she would eat more, but at least she is eating.

Had a blood panel done last week, waiting for results.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#32 LauraV

LauraV

• Registered Users
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Eating at any time is better than not any at all! Any way to separate the cat from kit while the person goes to work? And I'm so happy you decided to get a blood panel done to rule anything out.

#33 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Her blood work came back normal except for slightly elevated kidney values and more slightly elevated liver values. I took in a urine sample and should hear about that today.

Vet says she may be slightly dehydrated. If she ended up needing fluids, I have done that before and it's no big deal.

I could ask the house sitter to shut the cat into my bedroom-and-bathroom if necessary, to leave Kit's breakfast out if she doesn't eat before she has to leave for work. Cat won't like that, but probably that is better than Kit not eating breakfast at all.

She still isn't eating enough; always leaves some in the bowl.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#34 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Update:  Kit's urine analysis came back with nothing showing that is of any concern. So, she is almost 16 but healthy.

That is how Jester was as well, and he did fine up until he suddenly went down hill over the course of three months.

None of us are fond of this period of time in our relationships with our dogs. I try to focus on the fact that Jes did and Kit will live out their lives fully, instead of dying too young. Since we cannot change the fact that they don't live as long as we do, that's the best we can get.

The only thing good about it is that if they lived as long as we do, we'd not get to have as many dogs in our lifetimes. Although I bet most of us, given the chance, would trade that pleasure for having one special one forever.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

#35 LauraV

LauraV

• Registered Users
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the update! Well at least the blood work and urinalysis came back with nothing serious. That ruled out a few reasons for her not to be eating. As Nikko got older, it was harder for him to stay hydrated too. It is sad as they get older, but for your dogs to have such long lives is a blessing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.