BC Boards

I think Izzy is a smooth coat BC

So, went to puppy class last night (trainer is wonderful by the way) and there was a 3 month old lab puppy (very cute, named Bear). Izzy towers over this dog by at least double and has way more agility than this lab. Izzy is supposed to be a lab/BC mix. I did some searching online and came up with these two photos. Izzy is on the first and the second is a smooth coat is from a google search. Thoughts?

Tim

post-10145-1245369082_thumb.jpg

post-10145-1245369115_thumb.jpg

Height/weight? Really hard to say based on the photos. Not all labs grow to be 100 lbs but I'd think a similarly aged lab would be closer in height anyway. At

Quinn's puppy class there was another Border Collie puppy who was right around his age but much bigger, bulkier and no where near as agile. I remember them chasing around after class, the other puppy woefully unable to keep up with Quinn or make his hairpin kind of turns.

Right sorry forgot the details. She was weighed on Monday and she is 21.5 lbs and stands about 15" high. She runs around this lab like he was standing still. The in-laws have a seven month old shelti that can't keep pace with her speed or agility. Izzy's front paws are also bigger than her back paws. Izzy was a rescue from down south, so I don't think the rescuers really know her age.

For comparison, here's Juno at 6 months. She's for certain a smooth-coated border collie. She weighed 28 or 29 pounds then and was probably 18 or 19 inches tall at the shoulder.

100_2624.jpg

100_2652.jpg

If pressed for an answer I would say Izzmeister is somewhere between 4-5.5 months. She's a very pretty dog!!! Love the name too!

Here is a pic of a 3 month old "borador"

BoradorRexLabradorRetrieverBorderColliePuppy3Months.JPG

Look at those eyes! BC eyes. She doesn't really seem to have that flat-ish wide face of a lab, but who knows...

Edit: When I said Look at those eyes, I was talking about Izzy and not the dog in the pic.

Hello Everyone,

Izzysdad wrote, "If pressed for an answer I would say Izzmeister is somewhere between 4-5.5 months."

It should be easy to tell Izzy's age by checking her teeth. At 4.5 to 5 months, her permanent incisors should be coming in, and from 5 to 6 months, her canine teeth and molars should be coming in. If she does not yet have any adult teeth, then she would probably be younger than 4 months.

Regards,

nancy

I can see lab/BC in Izzy.

I have a friend with a lab/BC. The dog has energy to spare and could runs circles around my BC. She is about 45# with airplane ears, mostly black with white toes. The dog was adopted out of a shelter at around 8 weeks and turned over a week later as her energy level was through the roof.

Here is a pic of a 3 month old "borador"

BoradorRexLabradorRetrieverBorderColliePuppy3Months.JPG

Look at those eyes! BC eyes. She doesn't really seem to have that flat-ish wide face of a lab, but who knows...

No for the record they are labradollies. I would believe your dog is a mix if it came from people who had bc experience. That's not to a say a high mix isnt fantastic but, we often get puppies from shelters who tell me the dogs are pure breds and they are obviously not or there is a second dad in the litter.

I can see lab/BC in Izzy.

I have a friend with a lab/BC. The dog has energy to spare and could runs circles around my BC. She is about 45# with airplane ears, mostly black with white toes. The dog was adopted out of a shelter at around 8 weeks and turned over a week later as her energy level was through the roof.

That sounds almost exactly like my Daisy. I'm not sure if she has any lab in her, though. I would love to see a pic of your friend's lab/BC.

No for the record they are labradollies.

Oh, I see. I just saw "borador" as a "hybrid dog" pasted all over the internet. Is there a difference in the name? Or do some people just call it Borador as opposed to Labradollie? Just curious. Labradollie sounds more correct to me anyway.

My smooth coat Lab/Border Collie mix. I think she really favors the Lab side, but a lot of people see her and ask if she's a Border Collie mix.

DandelionMaddie.jpg

MaddieSound.jpg

She's not the merle, obviously!

Chase2.jpg

I like this mix a lot. Maddie's not a Borador, nor a Labradollie. She's a good old fashioned Border Collie/Lab Mutt!!

I like this mix a lot. Maddie's not a Borador, nor a Labradollie. She's a good old fashioned Border Collie/Lab Mutt!!

Haha, thank you! It makes me sick when people use those designer names to name dogs, especially when it comes to Border Collies. I was just about to comment.

I have nothing else to add to this thread really :rolleyes:

I've got Psyche here, a Border Collie/Lab cross (I don't call her any of those foolish "designer names" :rolleyes:), and she's 8 months, almost 9, old, and she's 20 inches tall. And probably only weighs 25-30lbs. She has a rough coat, though.

I think it's hard to tell because you don't know if they'll take after the lab side, or the border collie side.

Why did the shelter (or wherever she came from) think she was a lab/BC cross? I'm just asking because sometimes the people turning the dog over know who the parents are, and in that case I'd have to believe them and say she has lab in her but favors the bc side more. If she was picked up off the street or the mix was just a guess by some shelter worker, well, you'd be amazed how many of them know nothing about BCs and might think she must have lab in her just because she has a short coat. She looks all BC to me, except possibly the ears look a little labbish (but I have seen a few purebred border collies with oversized ears too). If she's crossed with a lab from field lines, those have as much energy as any border collie a lot of the time, so I wouldn't rule it out just due to energy level. Once she gets older, take her to a knowledgeable BC stockdog trainer and let them see what she does with sheep and ask them if they think she's all BC.