BC Boards

Border-doodles.......

KathyF

Came across these vis of BC x poodles when looking for something else -

All owned by the same person (must like grooming).

Disney must be 11 by now and has done quite a bit of TV work in his time, but then scruffy dogs are always in demand.

Pam

Wow. They probably do make good agility dogs. They kind of look like Benji.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. They probably do make good agility dogs.

Yes, but I can't see that they're any improvement on a good working beardie or beardie x BC for that purpose.

I don't know the dogs in question personally. Maybe they have a less sharp temperament on the whole.

Pam

Poodles (I mean the original standard poodle) were smart dogs -- bred for a different purpose, rather than inferior to border collies. Breeding for conformation and especially for miniature "lap dogs" has taken most of the smarts away from them (I speak only of those I have met -- maybe some that retain the original breed characteristics exist in France).

I completely agree with this. While i can say that not every dog in the breed is this way i can surely say every one i have met (and i work with hundreds of dogs every day for years) are complete airheads. I remember someone saying they were the smartest dog breed, but I am sorry i just cannot believe it. Although i do believe you can teach any dog anything i just can't see poodles up there. Most i have met can't even focus for a nano second let alone long enough to process and perform a command on cue. Over breeding or breeding for conformation has ruined what was once (im sure) a beautiful breed. As for cross breeding dogs and passing them off as extremely expensive "purebreds" is absolutely ridiculous. And i would never give anything crossed purposefully with a poodle my time. Never mind crossing a border and a poodle, it is completely ridiculous. It is just a way for pet shops to make money, ruin breeds and suck in unsuspecting pet owners that know no better. As i am aware at this point the only recognised poodle cross is a Labradoodle. Sorry for being straightforward but it does make me angry. :rolleyes:

Recognized by whom? All doodles are mixes.

Not that they're a breed I want but I've known several nice clever poodles.

As by whom I haven't the faintest idea. But like I said I believe they are the only recognised cross (Australia). I do believe they are out there but from what i have seen nice clever poodles are in the minority. Maybe it is the breed, maybe the owners, either way I have never met one I have liked. I can understand crossing a lab and a poodle as they were to be used as hypoallergenic guide dogs, but why cross the rest. And it is not limited to poodles. Cav's, beagles, pugs, shih tzu, you name it I've seen it, it's crazy what people pay for these health ridden pups.

All doodles are mixes.

So are all "breeds" if you go back far enough, and not very far back for some of them.

For example, just look at the history of the Russian Black Terrier.

All you have to do to create what most people would consider as a breed is to breed true for a few generations and get a breed standard agreed and recognised by a national KC.

The Labradoodle isn't yet at that stage but there are moves by some in Australia at least to work towards that aim. As is usual, there are others who would rather it didn't happen.

Remind you of any other breed?

Pam

Doodles make me crazy. I know three people with them. All first dog people who adore them, however the poor dogs are ill mannered and not getting what they need in the form training and exercise. The owners just don't know any better. Of course that's why they paid 1500 a pop for these strange looking mutts.

I want to put in good word for poodles, too. Two close friends have standards and they are both great dogs. Farm dogs that are also good in the house. Very smart and very athletic. Can almost keep up with my BC speed wise.

There is man about 100 miles outside my city who breeds them for SAR. He trains them in the mountains and his dogs look fabulous. Rugged poodles.

I wish there was someway to shut all these mills down.

As long as there is a call for designer dogs people will want them. Don't forget that for the right price you can clone your dog.