BC Boards

Early onset Deafness

abcollie

Gene identified, commercial test is being developed but needs more testing before it is released. Have your friend send in samples for the study.

Sorry for your friend. It's heartbreaking to get a dog trained up then lose it to a health problem like that. I know from personal experience. :(

I emailed (to this group - dogdna@tgen.org), got a response about a month and a half later (they had received such an overwhelming response that they had lost a few emails), received the test swabs, and sent them back. This was in March 2011.

Our Megan was tested normal at age 2 (BAER test) and began losing hearing around age 5. She was completely deaf apparently, and by BAER test, by the age of 7.

It will be great to have better information about this issue and have a test for it. I'm assuming you are talking about the same group.

I emailed (to this group - dogdna@tgen.org), got a response about a month and a half later (they had received such an overwhelming response that they had lost a few emails), received the test swabs, and sent them back. This was in March 2011.

Our Megan was tested normal at age 2 (BAER test) and began losing hearing around age 5. She was completely deaf apparently, and by BAER test, by the age of 7.

It will be great to have better information about this issue and have a test for it. I'm assuming you are talking about the same group.

They were "overwhelmed" is a VERY scary thought. Does anyone have any idea how wide spread this is?

If you think scary is them overwhelmed then *I* think *nightmare* may be on the horizon....

Yes, that does seem to be a real possibility. For example, if just 1% of dogs are affected, that makes 10% of dogs carriers. :blink: I wish the people involved in the study would at least give us an idea of their best estimate for carrier rate in the population.

They contacted me because my name was on the other databases (since I've contributed to the Epilepsy, etc).....I agreed to test all my dogs (7), they said that they'd send the kits but the kits never arrived.

Yes, I'd love to hear more about the progress they've made....could be very very interesting...from my POV more worthwhile than EIC.

You know, I'm sitting here with my old lady brain (otherwise known as what little remains of my younger woman brain) and wondering if I actually did get the test kits or not. I have the email that says they were going out "on Monday" but I'm wondering if I'm confusing these kits with the ones that I did get from Melanie's study (noise sensitivity and genome) several years back.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

All, I've been trying to get an update from Mark Neff for several months. I just sent another email to him and his admin assistant which includes a link to this thread. I will try getting him on the phone this week. I feel your frustration.

Mark

All, I've been trying to get an update from Mark Neff for several months. I just sent another email to him and his admin assistant which includes a link to this thread. I will try getting him on the phone this week. I feel your frustration.

Mark

Is there anyone else working on it? ABCA? Anyone we could get in touch with and encourage them to work on it?

Maybe she was just making sure you don't have EOD :)

:lol: Wouldn't that be EOR (early onset reading :@)

I just wasn't sure if "that" research group was sponsored by ABCA --- or was an independent group? Either way I feel better knowing Mark is working on it.

• 2 months later...

EOD Status:

The region of the genome where the mutation is located has been conclusively identified (this was reported at the VA finals). The region is 3 million base pairs in the 2500 million base pair canine genome.

The next set of tests they ran typically reveals the exact location of the suspected mutation and with this information they can develop a test.

What actually happened is the next set of experiments was not able to find the exact location of the mutation.

They proposed reasons why they were not able to identify the exact location of the mutation; the most likely is related to the current state of the genetic testing technology and the exact size a location of the mutation. Additional (costly) experiments are being evaluated (in terms of likely success and/or possible benefit to breeders) as a means to aid in locating the mutation; meanwhile, genetic testing technology continues to improve.

Even though the testing is being carried out we need to be open about this issue. it is a problem that is more widespread than most people think. We need to stop covering up the problem with excuses such as i shot a gun over the dog's head and therefore he is deaf, or he got kicked in the head and therefore he is deaf. Be open, sure there are those who will condem, but if there is any suspicion that the dog has EOD PLEASE Do not breed them, there are still enough good dogs to not introduce a major problem like this further into the breed.

EOD Status:

The region of the genome where the mutation is located has been conclusively identified (this was reported at the VA finals). The region is 3 million base pairs in the 2500 million base pair canine genome.

The next set of tests they ran typically reveals the exact location of the suspected mutation and with this information they can develop a test.

What actually happened is the next set of experiments was not able to find the exact location of the mutation.

They proposed reasons why they were not able to identify the exact location of the mutation; the most likely is related to the current state of the genetic testing technology and the exact size a location of the mutation. Additional (costly) experiments are being evaluated (in terms of likely success and/or possible benefit to breeders) as a means to aid in locating the mutation; meanwhile, genetic testing technology continues to improve.

Thanks for the info Mark. So, in "layman" terms? It's a mutation but they can't find where it's coming from (and won't be able to until genetic testing improves). So ... does that mean it's like the lottery (the losing kind :@( where it just turns up because something mutates? Both parents have it or they just don't know?

Thanks for keeping up with this ... it's frustrating for people to put so much time/effort/energy into their dogs and have them go deaf just when they are trained.

Candy,

They know the mutation is within the 3 million base pair region and it is recessive (like CEA); where the dog can be clear (2 normal genes), carrier (1 mutated gene 1 normal gene), and affected (2 mutated genes). There may be another gene (or genes) which modifies when the dog goes deaf. These are huge steps forward.

My personal recommendation (unofficially) is until we know more, genetically, we should treat the breeding of EOD lines like we did before there was a DNA test for CEA: don't breed affected dogs, be VERY careful (or don't) cross affected lines (dogs could be carriers), and share information which may help determine which dogs could be carriers.

We will find the gene(s) responsible for EOD, I just don't know when.

Mark

Too bad you're not on this side of the country, we had (all banded now) some REALLY flashy Katahdin ram lambs this year (chocolate & white spotted, tan & white spotted, and a nice set of triplets that were black with white spots).