#21 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 3,198 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

We've had 3 litters

1st: only 2 pups survived: one took two different handlers to open the other only made it to PN

2nd: 8 pups: 5 open dogs, one owned by an open handler that passed and the dog became a goose dog, 2 PN dogs

3rd: 9 pups: 5 open dogs, one PN/ranch, 3 pets

Support the ABCA Health & Education Foundation by using Amazon Smile

#22 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife, horses, sheep farming, sled dogs, falconry

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

thank you, it helps so much to read and hear of the experiences and thoughts of others.

#23 Pam Wolf

Pam Wolf

• Registered Users
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Like Tom Wilson said, I too strive for high percentage of workers.  I've had good success (and dogs that are excellent farm workers with little/no 'formal' training. 

I've bought in dogs that were nice pets and could be useful on smaller places with little work for them but were better suited (IMO) as pets.

I strive in my breeding for 100% capable of being useful  at the very least.  I want a dog that can do a good job with livestock with little training (better yet, 'on the job' type of training.

Many years ago I sold a pup to a farmer.  A few months later his neighbor called and wanted to know why my pup didn't need any training.  He had bought several dogs from several people (some Open trail winners) and ALL his dogs had to go out for training. My reply-his neighbor was lucky.

Now I realize that a good dog is a result of good breeding but it does take knowledge and willingness to let the dog think and do a job to get the best.  But I'd prefer a dog that can do it's job with little training and less handling

Along the way it seems I have become a shepherd rather than a sheepdogger

#24 DeltaBluez Tess

DeltaBluez Tess

• Registered Users
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:15 PM

some dogs are not suited for you and need to find the correct home....do you marry the first person you date and expect it to work out (some do )....but you need to find a dog suits you ...if the dog doesn't suit you, the dog will suit someone else...and nothing is wrong with the dog...it's like the boyfriend or girlfriend that didn't work out......but hopefully you have an idea of what suits you.

and when you breed or buy a pup or dog, look to the parents and pup's siblings (earlier) to see how they turned out to see if that suits your style and what you want the dog for....

so to answer your question, the % depends on the sire and dam, what they bring to the table, if any pups have been proven or not, training, if they suit you, etc.....but the odds are increased if you have good working parents with solid work for a start.

Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com
www.deltabluez.blogspot.com

Carnation, WA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.