BC Boards

Skip

Jo&Tex

My border collie - rough collie, Skip, passed away suddenly last Saturday. I'm still not sure what happened. His behaviour became increasing erratic over a period of 2 weeks and I just blamed the extreme heat and a recent move to a new farm. One minute he'd be calmer and better behaved than ever, and then suddenly attacking my other dogs and swiping at me. I didnt have an autopsy performed. Skip was a shelter dog and appeared to have had a birth injury or trauma to his head. We suspect that was the cause of his sudden aggression and subsequent seizure.

I picked up Skip at the shelter on his last day. He was a black and white rough collie, obviously a mix and although he looked like a bc, he just wasn't. He was good with the sheeps and adored his poultry flock. He took his job of patrolling the farm very seriously. He figured out that I got upset when the chickens and ducks went into my vegetable garden so he guarded it. No bird was allowed past the corner of the house towards the garden. He was learning to herd..slowly...as he didnt like to turn his blind eye towards the flock but he was getting the idea that he needed to stay behind and stay calm. He and Loki were a good team. They were inseperable on their constant rounds to keep the peace at Windcrest Farm.

My neighbours kept cattle. I had to walk thru their cow-calf field to get to my horses pasture. One day I was walking back and a big black bull challenged me on the laneway. There wasnt supposed to be a bull in that field. Loki ran away but Skip went right at that bulls nose and distracted it until I could climb up onto the square baler. Skip battlled that bull away and I made a dash and rolled under the electric fence. Skip trotted over like nothing had happened.

Last winter, another neighbour came by and complimented me on my good 'wolfdog'. I was confused so he told me how he looked out one morning and Skip was fighting with a coyote on the front lawn. The man stepped out with his gun and shouted at Skip. Skip backed off and the coyote dropped down onto the snow. The man shot the coyote. Skip sauntered back over, sniffed his fallen rival, cocked his leg on it and went home.

Skip wasnt a working border collie, he was just a darn good farmdog and he'll be very missed.

post-4927-1279212224_thumb.jpg

I met Skip when Jo picked him up. He was a good looking fellow with a sweet disposition. I'm know that Jo gave him a really good life and whatever went wrong with him could not have been forseen.

RIP Skip...have a game of tug with Jazz at the Bridge.

Even though I didn't know him, I like Skip. Fearless, loyal, with attitude. Gotta love a dog like that and from the stories you shared, it's obvious that you did. I'm sorry for your sudden loss. That'll do Skip.

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

His gentle head upon my knee

And share his silent thoughts with me...

He'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more his favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called him to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let him spend down here with me

And for his love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join him there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For he will greet me with his bark.

~ Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Skip.

Skip had heart. I'm so sorry for your loss, but it was destiny that your paths crossed. Good farm dog but his job here was done. You were so lucky to have had a dog like him in your life, and he to have had you in his life.

Rest gently, Skip.

Archived