BC Boards

Found our Puppies Prozac

Tip with CU - I've heard that the puppy program is a little easier to read. The regular CU book reads more like a lesson plan for a class.

Right! I've heard so as well, just forgot at some point. Thanks for the heads up.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY REBUTTAL:

Here is what a border collie truly is. A border collie is the end product of hundreds of years of sheepdog breeding by farmers and shepherds who needed an intelligent partner to help them on the farm. He is strong enough to bite a cranky ram on the nose until the ram turns and gives up the fight, and yet gentle enough to nudge a befuddled baby lamb along with just the tip of his nose. He is wise enough to stop and stand over a weak or sick ewe and wait there until his master comes to help him with the problem. And he is clever enough to work a flock of several hundred sheep down a hill a thousand feet high, and not lose or injure one along the way.

The border collie is energetic because he was bred to travel 30 or miles a day. He is intelligent because he was bred to evaluate the behavior of another species (sheep) and to adapt his own behaviors to get them to comply with his directions. He is independent because he was bred to do his work from 400 yards to a mile away from his shepherd, with little or no directives. And he's a good partner because he was bred to do all this things as an integral part of the shepherd-sheepdog team, where teamwork was the difference between a wasted day and a job well done.

I get the impression this author has limited understanding of the border collie's true heritage or what came together to make him the dog we know today. I'd venture that most border collie problems are due to owners who also fail to grasp the border collie's heritage, and who find themselves overwhelmed by the energy and intellect of these phenomenal dogs.

I am a champion of the working sheepdog. That is where their roots lie, where the genesis of their amazing minds remains, and that is where understanding of the breed must begin. Not with wolves. Not with packs. Not with outdated training methods that could honestly be re-labelled to fit almost any breed of domestic dog.

The border collie is not a wolf. In fact, he could scarcely be further from them. The wolf does not partner with Mankind. The border collie wants nothing more.

Respectfully submitted,

~ Gloria

Thank you for this, I found it very enlightening. Stated perfectly.

I haven't read this whole thing but I've got to say that I wasn't aware that BCs are especially stubborn. I've had 12 of my own and two fosters and out of those 1 was maybe "stubborn." But he had just been left in a backyard for 5 years and he just didn't relate to people much. None of the dogs I have now is stubborn. They are all pretty easy. And they were easy, easy puppies. Joey has never chewed up anything - amazing. And the only things Tommy chews up are books but I think it is the paste that attracts her.

Granted. All of my dogs are working bred and my experience is that the working bred dogs just are easier to live with.

I also have never had one that was crazy active, either. And everybody has a pretty good, stable temperament. Any fault in their temperments is mine because I don't socialize them enough.

I work with a whole lot of different breeds and I think BCs are easy compared to a lot of other dogs. I just took care of a one year old golden and that was a crazy dog. But she is just young. She will settle down. I don't think goldens are very smart. They are nice dogs and make great family pets but they are nowhere near as smart as my BCs

All dogs need to get out and exercise every day. That's not just a BC thing.

I really think BCs are easy compared to a lot of other breeds.

• 3 years later...

I purchased the book(s) a pay to download event. Book is poorly written and is mostly copy and paste from info already online. In fact she states that her sources may or may not be copyrighted and if it was copyrighted you had to prove it to her and she will remove. Duh??

I asked for my money back per the Money Back Guarantee if Not Happy No questions asked. Needless to say I did not even get the courtesy of a email reply. Ended up going to PayPal and finally got my refund. Do not waste your money, come here and learn or do searches online. May I suggest a donation here to the proper fund to help BC.

Yes I realize this Thread is 3 years old, but the book is Still for sale. Just wanted to save some new people the frustration.