BC Boards

My cancer tale and Bliss

Well, I found out that I had T-cell lymphoma in the nasal pharynx and neck lymph nodes in Oct. Had cancer surgery to remove the two cancerous lymph nodes in my neck that restricted eating and drinking. Found out it was stage three cancer, started in the nasal pharynx and neck lymph nodes and spread to spleen, leg groin, in front of heart, arm nodes. It is a very rare type of cancer and the chemo doctors never this before. So I was working with the top T Cell doctors and they decided to go with the toughest chemo session. I had less than 30% chance of beating it.

The first two sessions did not show much reduction so they put me on double rounds….so in 5.5 months I had 14 rounds of chemo. It was reduced to the neck lymph nodes and nasal pharynx. I am now going through 25 sessions of radiation now and it looks like we got it beat.

So during all of this, Maid was my cancer therapy dog. When I was crying, she licked the tears away. When I hurt so bad, she would stand over me and paw at my like a mama dog trying to get her pup and licking me and whining. She carried me thru the dark abyss of chemo.

Then she died. She ate some rat poison that a neighbor (1/2 mile away) had put out and my resident owl ate the rat, then spit of the poison pellet which she ate. She died quickly. I cried and cried and didn’t know how I was going to make it thru chemo. Scott Glen was a godsend and listened to me cry about the loss of my beloved Maid and “how was I going to finish chemo without her?” Three days later he called and she he had a dog that would fill Maid’s shoes. He said he didn’t care if she ever ran in a trial but she was to be my cancer therapy dog.

Bliss came into my life a couple of weeks later and walked into the house and fit right in. She went to work as the couch dog, snuggling up to me and licking my tears away. I held her tightly and she has been on the journey with me. Scott sold me one of his top Open dogs to help me in my journey. He wanted me to have a dog that would be there for me as Maid had been. He said if she was never to run in Open, he was fine as he didn’t sell her to me as an Open dog but a dog to save my life. She has.

But Bliss is my Open dog and we are doing well. I changed her whistles and she tries on the field. I love her so much as she gave me a huge piece of her heart to heal me, then another piece to help me run her in trials.

I am going thru radiation now and she snuggles with me as it is very hard. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and with Bliss at my side, we will emerge a victors when we leave the tunnel to the road of the new life.

It seems strange how our journey through life continues like a story, but the supporting characters change in the middle. I keep looking up as I do something, and thinking, "Last year at this time, Buddy was here."

Glad to hear you're on your way to recovery, and that you have a new companion for this section of your story. :)

Dear Diane,

I see there are fewer replies to you post than many others, and I think that perhaps many people feel like I do - overwhelmed by your post. I read it a couple of days ago, and I just didn't now what to say, so many things were happening simultaneously, most of them being too big for me.

My prayers are for you and your friends from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for writing this post.

Maja said it so well. I wanted to wait, to say something profound. But how do you respond profoundly to something that just sucks, that's so unfair?

What's happening isn't fair, and to loose Maid so tragically in the midst of it is perhaps the cruelest blow of all.

But to read of how you're transforming this challenge and the way you've welcomed Bliss into your life to continue with you on your journey speaks to your courage and fortitude.

My heart goes out to you. . . in your struggle, in your loss and in your ability to perceive the light at the end of the tunnel through it all.

I wish you well.

roxanne

Late to the party - my laptop has been on the fritz, and I've been out of town.

I'm so sorry to hear about your health woes! And losing Maid in this horrible way, just when you needed her so much, would have sent me over the edge.

So glad that you have great friends like the Glens. They've just secured their places in my personal fan club.

And now to offer you my sincerest wishes for a complete, and speedy, recovery! I've enjoyed your blog, and almost feel as if I know you personally. I think you're due for a run of good luck, now!

Border Collie people are amazing!! You are so amazing to go through all of this with such a great attitude and the Glens are amazing to be so generous to a fellow BC lover in such need. My prayers are with you through your final stage of treatment and recovery and I hope you and Bliss can show everyone what a wonderful team you have become.

I want everyone to know something about Diane. During her treatment while she was exhausted and throwing up- fighting for her life- she started the gofundme page to help me and pete during the kettle complex wildfires. This fund not only helped me, but also over $2500 was donated to firefighters relief, and ranchers relief funds.

Diane is the picture of courage, compassion and strength.

Hugs, Diane.

I want everyone to know something about Diane. During her treatment while she was exhausted and throwing up- fighting for her life- she started the gofundme page to help me and pete during the kettle complex wildfires. This fund not only helped me, but also over $2500 was donated to firefighters relief, and ranchers relief funds.

Diane is the picture of courage, compassion and strength.

Hugs, Diane.

's'true! And you might not know it, but she dotes on cookies, pralines and fudge. Jus' sayin'.