BC Boards

Pipedream Farm SDT Sept 20-22, 2013

This year we decided to combine the novice and open trials so we had time in the spring for projects around the farm (instead of getting ready for the novice trial). Unfortunately this results in one less day for the novice classes. The entry form for this year's trial is now on sheepdog-l, will be on NEBCA, and is attached here.

Open will be on Friday & Saturday.

The novice classes will be on Sunday.

Nursery is being offerred on all three days.

The field is challenging (hilly); not the same course as last year.

We'll run 2 ewes and 2 lambs from our flock of about 160.

Parking is limited on a hilly pasture.

Those with large motorhomes should contact us about access to the parking field.

Mark

Pipedream Farm SDT Entry Form 2013.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark....JoeAnne Pellini here, I think we met at the Sheep and Wool Festival this Spring. Anyway, to the point, LOL!:

I have a 4 month old BC pup and am curious about possibly bringing her to your Nursery class?

I have not started a pup this early, so I am not at all sure how to go about it or even if she is old enough at this point?

I got her from Kathy Knox-Ettrick Kennels in June (she will be 4 months old on Aug 17th, her name is Rose). I hope to take her to Jack's clinic in Sperryville, in Oct/Nov this year, so I was hoping to get her at least exposed to sheep before then.

If possible can you email me with your advice on if or how I may go about getting her in a nursery class?

thanks much you can email me at wolfma@icloud.com

Nursery class has nothing to do with puppies. It is for trained young dogs (younger than 3 by next summer?) who can do an Open course (or a llittle shorter) without a shed/single.

Come and spectate!

Ok , thanks all. I learned something new. I was thinking it was a training class for pups!

• 5 weeks later...

Running orders have been drawn and we'll get them posted later today (or tomorrow if something more urgent comes up).

Schedules for the volunteers will be posted (thanks to all those who volunteered).

Friday's Handlers' meeting will be at 8am. You WILL want to see someone walk the cross-drive line.

Schedules for the volunteers will be posted (thanks to all those who volunteered).

Let me know if you need additional volunteers (for scribing; I am NOT qualified for exhaust duties!) or anything else at my current (pathetically low) skill level. I won't be able to make it Saturday but am hoping to come Friday and Sunday.

We have a schedule of jobs for the volunteers (thank you for offering to help). This schedule is not set in stone; we just need to make sure all the jobs are covered. The jobs at the top of the field are "on call"; we may or may not need help.

jobs.pdf

Renee and I enjoyed our weekend. We'd like to thank Pam for judging. We'd like to thank Todd Layfield for his help before the trial and for working the pen all weekend; the sheep were relaxed in the pen and always came out calmly. We'd like to thank all of the volunteers that help make the trial run especially Sue Rayburn who came just to help and the Murphys who jumped in to take care of all the odds and ends that needed doing allowing Renee and I to focus on setting sheep. Finally, we'd like to thank Pam and the Murphys for helping us pick up after the trial on Sunday leaving us with very little to pick-up on Monday.

We will post a write-up soon.

Mark

It was a perfect weekend! I'd like to add to the thanks to Mark and Renee for hosting what is firmly ensconced as my favorite trial of the year. Hoping to have some photos soon to share - including of one of Mark at the perfect moment in the shedding ring! (Darned day job that doesn't give me enough time for processing images!)

I'd also like to thank the kind souls who found my glasses not once but TWICE. I need to admit to myself I'm of the age where I need "keepers" for them. Fortunately I was able to get them repaired last night :)