BC Boards

Herdng Cars and bikes help

I know its natural for BC's to chase/herd anything that moves, but do any of you have an advice as to how to help stop this when we are out walking.

At the moment I am saying "leave it" but I am ignored as he is more intested in lunging towards the vehicle.

He is still young, only 17 weeks, but doing great, I've been letting him off the lead too as he does have a great recall but I always leash him when people appear or other dogs etc, just in case

Thanks

Hondo and Tango do the same thing. Tango is the more annoying of the 2 as she likes to get in front of the vehicle and bark at it. Hondo has a hissy fit if someone is on the quad. In Hondo's case... he wants to go to work. In Tango's case, she just likes to harrass vehicles. She never leaves the property to do so, but still it can get annoying and I'm worried she may get hit someday.

I wish I could help you, but I'm at a loss as well.

Dianne

Hey I'm just wishing you luck. Bailey does the same thing. Its so dangerous if his lead ever broke or he got out he'd jump straight in front of the vehicle! I've been trying so hard to stop this behavior but nothings worked. Thing is he was a rescue so I dont kinow how long he'd been doing this at least your pup is still young, perhaps that will help you.

Ozuo used to do that when he was a pup. And I was scarred out of my pants that he will never get over this and get hit by one!

Fortunatly I was able to discurage him by telling him NO each time he even glanced at an incomming car, and making him SIT every time a car passed by. Now he just ignores them. He developed a fascination for motorcycles, but at least he resumes at staring at them from the back of the car.

Chasing wildlife is another story....

We use "NO" a lot when we see squirrels and cats on the bikes and it seems to be working. We also slow down, and if we are going to pass another dog we make him sit or lie down until the dog has passed. We also keep him on a very short leash.

Now, if you can tell me how to get him to quit herding ME when I'm riding my bike and he's running with me, well, I'll love you forever (and my ankles will thank you!)

As someone who has been struggling to curb my BC's desire to chase cars for almost a year now, I will tell you to do everything in your power to stop it NOW. It will only get worse and it is a deadly habit for a dog to have.

The fact that your guy is so young should help in the curbing of this behavior. Do a search on the boards for ideas. Not all will work for your dog so try different methods (I am still trying to find the right one for Dublin).

hee hee, I was in a hurry when posting because the dog was getting antsy. My life revolves around him now, I swear!

no, the squirrels and cats do not ride bikes, but we do so that he can run alongside. If he sees a cat or squirrel while I am on my bike - dear Lord, please hold me. It can be scary. Thus the reason for a firm "no" and slowing wwwwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyy down.