• 2,035 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

https://www.nytimes....g-article-click

#2 Heartful

Heartful

• Registered Users
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

There must also be a gene for the opposite behavior. One that makes people (or dogs), well...unfriendly. 

Tell me and I forget, teach me an I remember, involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin

#3 simba

simba

• Registered Users
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

There is.

#4 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

^^ That looks more like fear than straightforward aggression to me.

Interesting article, Donald. Thanks for sharing.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#5 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

I don't think much of that fox video by itself, either. It's trapped in a cage - any number of scared or anxious canids would react the same, including dogs found in animal shelters. I'd say there needs to be greater context, there.

As for a corresponding genetic factor to un-sociability, I absolutely believe that must be so. My Aussie's mother was very standoffish with both dogs and humans. My Aussie herself simply has no interest in befriending people, despite all our efforts in her youth, and only mild interest in meeting other dogs. She has maybe half a dozen human friends and perhaps twice that many dogs she tolerate easily, and that's it. She's not aggressive, she's just suspicious and anti-social. :ph34r:

~ Gloria

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#6 simba

simba

• Registered Users
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

They bred two lots of foxes and of rats- one for for expressed aggression of any kind towards humans, one for calmness/tameness. The increased flight distance ones look like that.

The decreased ones look like this, with similar raising protocols for both (minimal handling- it's not a nice experiment, I have a lot of problems with the minimal handling and the environments from what I have seen). 

They started off breeding purely for flight distance. One of the things they wanted to do was isolate nature vs nurture, so for example the fearful or aggressive foxes would be put in litters of tame foxes, and vice versa, so that others around them modelled a behaviour they were not bred for, and to look at animals of different breeding in similar environments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.