BC Boards

Battling the AKC

havenjm

It really is simple, isn't it?--to put one's money where one's mouth is. It would settle a lot of arguments if them barbie collies would git out there and show us all, once and for all. I wish they would. These heated debates are exhausting.

Bad grammar and bad spelling irk me to no end. I just can't take anyone seriously if they take the time to write a rebuttal and you're distracted from the content trying to get past misspelled words and bad grammar. OK, so maybe I'm a reincarnated school marm, but man, that does bug the hell out of me.

I think Brillian Dawn has A LOT to learn. Bottom line is, take up the challenge. Get your conformation bred dogs out in an open trial field and prove every one here wrong.

If for no other reason, do it for me. I'm getting tired just thinking of another heated debate.

Vicki

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This from her website: "We started raising Border Collies in 2001."

Now there you go. She has at least two years of experience -- maybe even three. I guess she has us all beat. I didn't realize that we were dealing with such an established, experienced person.

Denise:

Put your pixels where your mouth is. How about some photos to back up your claims? Do you also go out in your underwear to work dogs like a certain other young and accomplished handler? Yikes!

charlie

Put your pixels where your mouth is. How about some photos to back up your claims? Do you also go out in your underwear to work dogs like a certain other young and accomplished handler? Yikes!

Reality check to Denise. It always ruins things when people want proof.

Charlie, at my age, even my keen dogs would run away if they saw me in my underwear. Here's a pic that says it all about my stage of life right now (both images me BTW):

small.jpg

Brilliant Dawn doesn't look like much shakes as a conformation breeder, either. I'm quite familiar with the culture of the "dog fancy" world from friends in other breeds. Every dog on the website is home-bred, there are no titles or accomplishments listed or any other information someone looking for a quality Barbie Collie would want.

I find it curious that a breeder who claims to breed for temperament would have multiple litters of puppies from a bitch who is good with "ppl" [sic] but uncomfortable in new situations.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else here -- I'm perfectly willing to tip my hat to any Barbie Collie who can compete on the Open field with the best of them. If there are indeed all these conformation dogs out there who can "herd" the pants off working Border Collies you'd think someone would have seen some, somewhere. Don't be shy!

-- Mrs. Lance Armstrong

Brillant Dawn,

"Use to be I could not spell breader, but now I are one."

If you had not done so much work on your web site, I would have said you are nothing but an elaborate hoax designed to raise the ire of this forum. You are just the kind of well meaning idiot that could ruin the breed.

Why does your web site not give any background on the herding abilities of your dogs? How do you breed for herding ability? I consider the breeder from whom I got my border collie/kelpe mix to be just barely a reputable border collie breeder.

http://www.herdeverything.org/index.html

Compare your enterprise to hers. You really are a "barbie collie" breeder, not a border collie breeder. Try to think about it, for the good of the breed.

As usual, I think both Denise and Melanie are selling themselves short.

Living where I do, and bracing for the Return of the Co-eds over the next couple of weeks, let me just say that there is a certain beauty that comes with wisdom.

And I'm not so sure that being Mrs. Lance Armstrong is something to aspire to. Do you really want to be jilted for the second skankiest female pop figure in the world (Courtney Love being the first)?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe more time should be spent doing homework rather than making decisions about where this breed is headed. That's a big responsibility for an adult to undertake, much less a kid.

Yawn. Is it time for my happy nappy?

Vicki

Brilliant Dawn wrote:

First of all we have a 500 acres farm with 2500 head of cattle. Our dogs live in our homes as companions as well as heard including my show qualiity ones.

If "hearding" is an important reason for you to have and breed border collies, why are there no pictures or mention of the skills of your specific dogs working all these cattle?

I can't imagine a good working border collie with this much work opportunity could be described as "lives to catch a ball or Frisbee."

Now when i decided to get started in showing as well i crossed both lines so that my dogs would be 3 quarter show and at least 1 quarter working lines. Im not out to make the border another show dog. That is the last thing im out to do.

This above kind of begs the question -- if what you're doing isn't helping to make the border collie just another show dog, then what does?

2500 head on 500 acres??? P.U. i have 20 head 0n 267 acres and its too small. do they lean on each other or just step on the dogs ?my parents didnt have anything,just us kids and a dream.we are still trying to what that dream was.was my spelling ok? our dogs are probably 3/5 working and 2/5 companion. or is it 3/5 companion and 2/5 working. jeez i cant remember

bob

the king of the united states.

Yeah, I thought about that, too. Stocking ratios vary but 2500 on less than a section? People do lease, however, and, then again, make up stuff. Maybe not. Who knows? The website mentions nothing about either working the dogs or showing them. It also says that their first border collie was a very young dog, now dead, who sired a couple of even younger dogs they now own. It's bizarre.

Penny

Omg, I just got in on this thread...

Sam Furman

Penthouse pet, finals winner, Nobel prize winner, Underwear model and champion photographer..and heck.... all around nice person! Wowwwwwwwwww

Watch out Charlie...I have been spying on other sites and I see you are going to finals..you wont know its me till the flash goes off in your face!

Wow,

Id have to say that i totally agree with Brilliant dawn. You guys are being immature and selfish. You dont want things to change. Well news to all of you its the future things are going to change and improve and you guys arent going to stop it. As for the stud books being closed id have to see that. There are way to many breeders especcially in the USA who breed their BORDER collies in conformation. You all might as well give up already. Its been 10 years the popularity of the Border collie in shows is already way to popular. There are over 25 breeders that breed BORDER collies for show in the USA plus people who have them for pets and show them as well. Plus all the people from Diffrent countries who send their Borders to here to be shown.

Seriousely look at the big picture and Grow up! :rolleyes: :cool:

Brilliant Dawn: I do however dont want the border collie to be another show dog.

Penny: You still haven't explained how you are avoiding doing that or told us your age or how you manage 2500 head on 500 acres or shown us pictures of any of your dogs working livestock.

In short, you need to lend some versimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.

I would not buy a puppy from a website in the first place. I cannot imagine buying from a breader who has gone to all the trouble of putting up a site and at the same time not bothered to learn the how to spell any of the words for her chosen pursuit other than "dog." Anybody go to a deantist to get there toufs kleaned?

There is nothing to that site. It's a new low, even for confirmation breaders, who, unlike us working dog folks, generally know the nuits and beets of their sport enuf to spell it correctly.

Ignoring a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors is polite. Failing to notice an entire post containing that many would be plain silly, particularly where the poster wants to instruct.

In addition, the website indicates that Brilliant Dawn has not had border collies for many years as she states here.

Penny