BC Boards

Best products for paw pad protection?

AerBear26

One of my BC's chronically rips her pads. They are just not strong. Especially the tips of her toe pads (ALWAYS frayed...) She is about 6 yrs old now. She has lived outside and worked stock for many years of her life before I got her and has always had this problem (partly the reason she was offered to me). So its not a matter of conditioning her feet to rough ground. Its to the point where I dont even take her out to play or run much any more because she rips them so often :( She can only handle about once or twice a week of short herding sessions. She is healthy other wise and does not have a thyroid issue or yeasty pads...

So my question is... what is the BEST product out there for avoiding ripped pads? Ive tried many creams from feed stores and tuff foot type of sprays. It helps to heal the pad faster but does not seem to actually prevent the ripping. Are boots my only option? and if so, what are the best and strongest on the market if im going to use them while she works sheep and cattle? Also i should mention im in california so she works on tough dirt with rocks etc. no grass whatsoever lol. Is she a hopeless case?? :(

Thanks!

Aer.

post-15238-0-76037000-1375218334_thumb.jpg

and why does this product work better than others? I have heard of it but it just seems like all the others ive tried... please let me know if im wrong. but specifically WHY or HOW is it better?

Aer.

Am I missing something here? The photos show paws that are already worn through various stages of healing.

Great if it helps the worn pads heal more quickly, but I (and I believe the OP) would really like to know if there's something that will help prevent the wearing in the first place.

One of my dogs pads wears through pretty quickly, too. It's really painful for him when it happens, so I'd love to know how to help toughen his pads before they get to that state.

Am I missing something here? The photos show paws that are already worn through various stages of healing.

Great if it helps the worn pads heal more quickly, but I (and I believe the OP) would really like to know if there's something that will help prevent the wearing in the first place.

One of my dogs pads wears through pretty quickly, too. It's really painful for him when it happens, so I'd love to know how to help toughen his pads before they get to that state.

Couldnt have said it better myself!! thanks.

Aer.

This product heals and protects pads. But if you don't want to try it then don't. I'm sorry I bothered to post the link at all.

touchy.. sorry didnt mean to offend you.

Regular application of Tuff n' Up makes pads tougher. It also aids in healing of torn pads.

However, if you have a dog that is very fast or hard on their feet , no product will 100% prevent torn pads.

I also find that because my male dog jumps in the stock tank regularly while training he tears his pads since they are softened in the water.

^^ What she said. :rolleyes:

Have you used this product and know it helps to prevent these worn pads? If so, I might try it.

doubt we will get an answer now... *sigh* lighten up people!! :rolleyes:

Regular application of Tuff n' Up makes pads tougher. It also aids in healing of torn pads.

However, if you have a dog that is very fast or hard on their feet , no product will 100% prevent torn pads.

I also find that because my male dog jumps in the stock tank regularly while training he tears his pads since they are softened in the water.

thanks. so then boots it is i guess. Anyone have a doggy boot recommendation? Long lasting?

My Tex had some sort of injury to his pad last year. I didn't using this during the healing phase, but I did use it after it healed. His pads previously felt much more delicate than my female's. Now days, his pad feel much thicker and tougher. I would recommend it.

My Tex had some sort of injury to his pad last year. I didn't using this during the healing phase, but I did use it after it healed. His pads previously felt much more delicate than my female's. Now days, his pad feel much thicker and tougher. I would recommend it.

good to know thanks.

I like Musher's Secret. Pete tore up his pads in the Spring, when the ground was fast and hard. Used Musher's Secret, they healed fine, and I haven't had a problem with his pads since.

hmmm.... good to know as well...

So my question is... what is the BEST product out there for avoiding ripped pads? Ive tried many creams from feed stores and tuff foot type of sprays. It helps to heal the pad faster but does not seem to actually prevent the ripping. Are boots my only option? and if so, what are the best and strongest on the market if im going to use them while she works sheep and cattle? Also i should mention im in california so she works on tough dirt with rocks etc. no grass whatsoever lol. Is she a hopeless case?? :(

Thanks!

Aer.

Well, you can use it to hasten the healing of torn pads, or you can use it to prevent damage from happening in the first place. It won't help if your dog is running on really rough terrain - for that, you'll need boots. I would caution getting the 'strongest' boots as those won't allow your dog much feel of the terrain. It's fine for sled dogs who are running in a relatively straight line, but for a working dog who is zigging and zagging, those fancy boots won't let them feel the ground.

The magic ingredient in Tuff N Up is benzoin. My vet believes it's the only ingredient that actually toughens up a dog's pads. You could also get tincture of benzoin from a health food store (it might be sold as friar's balsam).

BTW, if someone goes to the trouble of posting an answer to your question with a link and in such a timely manner, as Laura did, you could be more gracious. At least say thank you.

Well, you can use it to hasten the healing of torn pads, or you can use it to prevent damage from happening in the first place. It won't help if your dog is running on really rough terrain - for that, you'll need boots. I would caution getting the 'strongest' boots as those won't allow your dog much feel of the terrain. It's fine for sled dogs who are running in a relatively straight line, but for a working dog who is zigging and zagging, those fancy boots won't let them feel the ground.

The magic ingredient in Tuff N Up is benzoin. My vet believes it's the only ingredient that actually toughens up a dog's pads. You could also get tincture of benzoin from a health food store (it might be sold as friar's balsam).

BTW, if someone goes to the trouble of posting an answer to your question with a link and in such a timely manner, as Laura did, you could be more gracious. At least say thank you.

ic thanks

http://www.dogbooties.com Made in America, VERY reasonably priced, different strengths/weights. Be sure to follow the simple measuring instructions to ensure a good fit.

I also like Musher's Secret, have had good results with it here on our dryland, volcanic earth. I am lucky that none of my current dogs have 'tender' pads, but blisters have happened before and they will likely happen again.

Good luck!

Amy

touchy.. sorry didnt mean to offend you.

^^ What she said. :rolleyes:

Have you used this product and know it helps to prevent these worn pads? If so, I might try it.

Y'all understand that everyone on here is participating in the same way you are (e.g. as a matter of interest and fellowship), and not generally involved in border collie customer service, right?

Being simultaneously demanding and virtually rolling your eyes when you get an answer not to your specification could be considered ungracious rather than offensive.

Y'all understand that everyone on here is participating in the same way you are (e.g. as a matter of interest and fellowship), and not generally involved in border collie customer service, right?

Being simultaneously demanding and virtually rolling your eyes when you get an answer not to your specification could be considered ungracious rather than offensive.

Yeah. Exactly.

And, clicking on the link that Laura provided, I see that it says the product toughens pads. As that is what y'all were looking for in the first place, what's with the snide comments and rolling eyes? If you wanted to know more, there was a number for customer service in the link. Or maybe you could've Googled to get the ingredient list and done a little research yourself.

Laura's recommendation is right on. Tuff n Up is what you want. My boy has incredibly soft pads, the first time I took him out for his first real lesson he tore ALL of his pads (of course didn't show any signs until he stopped!). Norm and Vickie Close (Handhills) gave me a bottle of Tuff N Up, and not only did it help them heal as quickly as possible, but they did make his pads tougher. He boarded with Norm for many months and when he came back his pads were hard as rocks. I had just moved when he came home from boarding, and lost my bottle, thus got out of the habit of applying (once weekly is recommended for maintenance), and when I took him out for a lesson after a break, he tore his two main front pads. For him this is still an improvement, but I have him back on Tuff n Up now and his pads are almost healed, he can play frisbee no problems after about a week and a half of regular application. And the pads that weren't injured are very tough, I highly doubt they would tear right now. He's not a bed dog either, we regularly go hiking, biking, and I have a scooter that has a dog attachment that I use for commuting in town. He's just like your girl sounds, very soft paws. I've tried other products and they don't work as well as Tuff n Up.

If you do go the boot route, don't get something like neo-paws or ruff wear. Those are the types of boots I use for Link when he is on duty as my service dog, and running on pavement next to my scooter. IMO they don't give the dog enough feel for the ground and could lead to an injury for something like stockwork. I've heard simple leather booties, or probably boots similar in design to the sled dog ones, would be what you might want to look into if Tuff n Up doesn't do the trick.

Tuff n Up contains Tincture of Benzoin which is the main ingredient found in most pad toughening agents. The
compound form is best if you are going to apply foot wraps. You can get it at your local pharmacy. Paint it on or put it in a pump spray bottle.

I've posted this elsewhere, but may be of interest if you haven't already seen it:

http://stockdogsavvy.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/no-foot-no-dog/

jeanne