BC Boards

Whistle Question

Diana A

I'm using a plastic whistle and was told a little while back from someone I was working with that the sound didn't carry all that well at a distance and I might do better with a metal whistle or something louder. My dog did respond better to the other person's louder whistles. I just happened to have a metal whistle at home (aluminum I think) but when I used it, it was even quieter than my plastic one and the sound tended to fade off the end if I tried to soften up the tones. It was very thin metal and a smaller slit than my plastic one. So now I'm wondering, what makes a whistle loud? Is it the material? The shape, thickness? Size of opening? It's hard to tell from looking at pictures on the internet what type might be good to order, and some of them are pretty expensive for experimenting (and can't be returned). I like the shape with the little tabs on the sides - I have tried the half moon and the 'A' shape and just couldn't get used to those. Any recommendations on a good loud whistle in the shape I like?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I've heard brass is very loud. Shameless plug for www.bcaddicts.com. Fast shipping and a fun site!

Tim

There's got to be some mistyping in that url. I get addiction, badminton, and footwear sites.

I wonder if it was meant to be: http://www.bordercollicsanonymous.com/

I think that the space or gap in the whistle makes a difference. When it is wider it seems that the sound carries further. That is why the brass blaster works so well for some people. I like the corian whistle that you can get from this site as I have been able to get better sound from it.

Kathy

There's got to be some mistyping in that url. I get addiction, badminton, and footwear sites.

There are two sizaes of brass whistles, one called the big blaster or master blaster and the other the baby blaster. They definitely have more volume and if you concentrate on getting to the higher pitches they will carry better also. Dave Murray of Oregon puts out good ones of either size and I'm sure you can get them also from Border Collies in Action too. Bob

BorderCollicsAnonymous, if I remember correctly, will also make custom brass whistles. I saw their booth in Gettysburg, and they had different sizes and shapes to suit many preferences.

The brass whistle is heavy and not everyone likes that. It can get a bit bouncy on the lanyard! Plus, in below-freezing weather, you would do best to have it in a pocket or you might find your lips freezing to it! However, it's the only one I can manage any sort of consistency with. I would like to "test blow" a Corian, though - similar size and shape but lighter and not the same "freeze factor".

I Like my Baby Blaster because I think it carries further, but it seems to me that I can still get Louder with a plastic whistle.

I'm using a plastic whistle and was told a little while back from someone I was working with that the sound didn't carry all that well at a distance and I might do better with a metal whistle or something louder. My dog did respond better to the other person's louder whistles. I just happened to have a metal whistle at home (aluminum I think) but when I used it, it was even quieter than my plastic one and the sound tended to fade off the end if I tried to soften up the tones. It was very thin metal and a smaller slit than my plastic one. So now I'm wondering, what makes a whistle loud? Is it the material? The shape, thickness? Size of opening? It's hard to tell from looking at pictures on the internet what type might be good to order, and some of them are pretty expensive for experimenting (and can't be returned). I like the shape with the little tabs on the sides - I have tried the half moon and the 'A' shape and just couldn't get used to those. Any recommendations on a good loud whistle in the shape I like?

I used to make whistles and did some experiments. I found that the larger the hole through the middle is, the louder the whistle. Although with larger holes they get harder to play a tune on. IE:really large hole harder to play but really loud. I also found that where the bevel down to the hole meets the hole needs to be a really sharp edge for crispness, that edge also makes a difference on how easy it is to learn to blow and control. I also think that volume comes a great deal from the person.

BorderCollics Annonymous is the same site as bcaddict. Betsy Drummond owns the site and they live my home state...NH!!! Her husband has 12 BC's and they own a farm. Extremely nice people. The shipping is super fast.

Rob is her husband, and he may make all the whistles...but I could be wrong.

Tim

Ok, so now here's a question to add to the op question.

I use my lips to whistle when dogs are close and my fingers when they are far.

I got a brass whistle for my birthday, looks cool I put it on a handspun yarn to wear around my neck.

But here's the thing,

I keep forgeting it, unless I wear it to bed, then my husband is always making rather funny remarks!

AND

The dogs respond more.....uh........boy I hate to say frantically......to the brass whistle, but they respond with less relaxation.

My fingers produce a 'slower' kinda calmer sound, it is loud, but lower.

So is it the way I whistle with the brass whistle? I cannot seem to use it the same way as my fingers

I know only T would have this strange problem.

For some reason, the whistling to the border collies has always romanced me. I have taken a keen interest over the years to listen to the various types of mechanical whistles and people who finger whistle. I'll try to answer some of the questions posed.

Only my personal opinion but as far as the mechanical whistles go, I firmly believe that no whistle offers more clarity and volume than the good ol' plastic whistle. They aren't glamorous but they are very loud and clear to those who can work them. I have listened to countless people whistle from afar while working at the top ends of various trials. At the end of the trial I have walked by the loudest, clearest whistlers and found a plain plastic whistle hanging around their neck.

I also think the various metal whistles work just fine, since the are the most numerous out there. Their sounds all mix together for me with none more clearly dominant than the other. To me, the plastic ones are the only ones that stand out.

And to maybe answer your question T; I really think the finger whistlers have a slight advantage. You can really "talk" to the dogs with your fingers. Just listen to Tommy or Alasdair... The tones, volume and accents are nearly unlimited. The volumes speak for themselves. As a veteran of mechanical whistles and then moving on to using my fingers, I just find the latter more intimate and satisfying. I would recommend to those curious, to try learning to whistle with their fingers. If I can learn, anyone can.

In the end though, I can't honestly say that I have noticed that the dogs care. imo, no matter what type of whistle, if you have a good rapport with your dog, it will take the whistle command.

my .02

Dan

Thanks, that was what I was wondering. I can whistle songs with my fingers, melodies but I cannot with the brass whistle.

I thought maybe it was just me? But it might be my whistle?

I have a couple of plastic ones around here somewhere.

Whistling on your fingers can take a bit to learn, but the secret as with anything, I guess, is just practice. And using different fingers.

My brothers can all use just thumb and index fingers.

But I have to use both my fore fingers.

Of course their is the where have my hands just been thing, I try not to think to much about that! And at least I have never forgot my fingers!

Thanks

Hey Sue, I think I did offer at one point. I would be happy to show anyone at Tom Forrester's. A few people have asked me since about it so we should try.

You really can "talk" to them with your fingers. I always got the impression I only "gave orders" with the metal whistle.

Dan

Hey Sue, I think I did offer at one point. I would be happy to show anyone at Tom Forrester's. A few people have asked me since about it so we should try.

You really can "talk" to them with your fingers. I always got the impression I only "gave orders" with the metal whistle.

Dan

I'll look forward to it then! I'll be there Fri evening through Saturday only, though, so I hope you will have the chance to show me. If not, another time, I hope.

I would really like to learn finger whistling, or at least give it a good shot. I can do very limited whistling with 2 fingers (each hand, ugh!) but was told if I can do two, I can do one finger from each hand. Is there a YouTube video or anything showing this and explaining? I just end up with saliva on my chin. :rolleyes:

Barbara

You know, there might be....I guess there is a youtube for everything.

But maybe this might help.

Pull your lips back over your teeth, put your forefingers into the corners of your mounth, the fingers are almost touching, but play with the distance between them.

Think of how you blow air over a top of a bottle to make that foghorn sound.

You are blowing air, kinda over the top of that little hole you created with your fingers

Your tounge is just touching your fingers on either side but it is pulled back

The trick is practice, don't give up until you feel faint then rest for a bit.

Everyones mouth and tounge and stuff are different. Move things around a notch or two

After you can do that then try with one hand thumb and forefinger, although for some reason, that is much harder for me.

Good luck! Keep going!