My cancer tale and Bliss

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DeltaBluez Tess

DeltaBluez Tess

• Registered Users
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Well, I found out that I had T-cell lymphoma in the nasal pharynx and neck lymph nodes in Oct. Had cancer surgery to remove the two  cancerous lymph nodes in my neck that restricted eating and drinking. Found out it was stage three cancer, started in the nasal pharynx and neck lymph nodes and spread to spleen, leg groin, in front of heart, arm nodes. It is a very rare type of cancer and the chemo doctors never this before. So I was working with the top T Cell doctors and they decided to go with the toughest chemo session. I had less than 30% chance of beating it.

The first two sessions did not show much reduction so they put me on double rounds….so in 5.5 months I had 14 rounds of chemo. It was reduced to the neck lymph nodes and nasal pharynx. I am now going through 25 sessions of radiation now and it looks like we got it beat.

So during all of this, Maid was my cancer therapy dog. When I was crying, she licked the tears away. When I hurt so bad, she would stand over me and paw at my like a mama dog trying to get her pup and licking me and whining. She carried me thru the dark abyss of chemo.

Then she died. She ate some rat poison that a neighbor (1/2 mile away) had put out and my resident owl ate the rat, then spit of the poison pellet which she ate. She died quickly. I cried and cried and didn’t know how I was going to make it thru chemo. Scott Glen was a godsend and listened to me cry about the loss of my beloved Maid and “how was I going to finish chemo without her?” Three days later he called and she he had a dog that would fill Maid’s shoes. He said he didn’t care if she ever ran in a trial but she was to be my cancer therapy dog.

Bliss came into my life a couple of weeks later and walked into the house and fit right in. She went to work as the couch dog, snuggling up to me and licking my tears away. I held her tightly and she has been on the journey with me. Scott sold me one of his top Open dogs to help me in my journey. He wanted me to have a dog that would be there for me as Maid had been. He said if she was never to run in Open, he was fine as he didn’t sell her to me as an Open dog but a dog to save my life. She has.

But Bliss is my Open dog and we are doing well. I changed her whistles  and she tries  on the field. I love her so much as she gave me a huge piece of her heart to heal me, then another piece to help me run her in trials.

I am going thru radiation now and she snuggles with me as it is very hard. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and with Bliss at my side, we will emerge a victors when we leave the tunnel to the road of the new life.

Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com
www.deltabluez.blogspot.com

Carnation, WA

#2 diane allen

diane allen

• Registered Users
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

I'm sorry you have gone through all of this - but what a positive attitude and a wonderful friend you have.  Well, two I guess:  the two-legged and the four-legged kind!  

Carry on, and all the best to you and yours!

diane

#3 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

All the best in your recovery! I'm so glad to read of your new 'nurse'. And happy to think of you having a ready source of Bliss in your life.

Ruth and Gibbs

#4 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,905 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:03 AM

:)
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#5 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 3,198 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:50 AM

Good friends, human and dog, are always there when you need them most. I'm glad you have both.
Support the ABCA Health & Education Foundation by using Amazon Smile

#6 mbc1963

mbc1963

"Border Collie/Terrier Mix" Don't judge me.

• Registered Users
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

It seems strange how our journey through life continues like a story, but the supporting characters change in the middle. I keep looking up as I do something, and thinking, "Last year at this time, Buddy was here."

Glad to hear you're on your way to recovery, and that you have a new companion for this section of your story. :)
Charlie Brown, Baby Daddy to the Merrimack Valley, 1970 - 1977
Dusty, Sweet, Soft, Fat, Brindled Girl, 1977-1989
Shamokin, Biggy Baby, 1988 - 2002
Buddy, My Best Boy, 2003 - 2015

#7 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

You have special friends (human and dog) that surround you. I am glad to hear that you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#8 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

Dear Diane,

I see there are fewer replies to you post than many others, and I think that perhaps many people feel like I do - overwhelmed by your post.  I read it a couple of days ago, and I just didn't now what to say, so many things were happening simultaneously, most of them being too big for me. 

My prayers are for you and your friends  from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you for writing this post.

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#9 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Yes. That ^^^

I teared up reading this. So intense, heartbreaking and beautiful and the same time.

Thank God for the friends and dogs who are there for us when we truly need them and support us through the dark times in life.

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

#10 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Maja said it so well.  I wanted to wait, to say something profound.  But how do you respond profoundly to something that just sucks, that's so unfair?

What's happening isn't fair, and to loose Maid so tragically in the midst of it is perhaps the cruelest blow of all. 

But to read of how you're transforming this challenge and the way you've welcomed Bliss into your life to continue with you on your journey speaks to your courage and fortitude.

My heart goes out to you. . . in your struggle, in your loss and in your ability to perceive the light at the end of the tunnel through it all.

I wish you well.

roxanne

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#11 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Registered Users
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

Late to the party - my laptop has been on the fritz, and I've been out of town.

I'm so sorry to hear about your health woes! And losing Maid in this horrible way, just when you needed her so much, would have sent me over the edge.

So glad that you have great friends like the Glens. They've just secured their places in my personal fan club.

And now to offer you my sincerest wishes for a complete, and speedy, recovery! I've enjoyed your blog, and almost feel as if I know you personally. I think you're due for a run of good luck, now!

#12 Gideon's girl

Gideon's girl

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 2,586 posts
  • Interests:BCs, Gideon and Micah and a token JRT just to keep me humble.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

Border Collie people are amazing!!  You are so amazing to go through all of this with such a great attitude and the Glens are amazing to be so generous to a fellow BC lover in such need.  My prayers are with you through your final stage of treatment and recovery and I hope you and Bliss can show everyone what a wonderful team you have become.

#13 DeltaBluez Tess

DeltaBluez Tess

• Registered Users
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

My favorite pix of Maid and me, right after our run at LaCamas...

maid%2B1.jpg

Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com

Carnation, WA

#14 sjones

sjones

• Registered Users
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:border collies, horses, sheep, spinning(wool), knitting, reading

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thoughts and prayers for you.  Border collies are good for the soul, and it sounds like Bliss more than fits that saying.

Samantha

#15 Cody & Duchess

Cody & Duchess

• Registered Users
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

So sorry for everything you have gone through and will go through. I am glad Bliss came into your life but so sorry Maid left way to soon. Please take care of yourself....your journey is long and hard.

#16 DeltaBluez Tess

DeltaBluez Tess

• Registered Users
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

Five more sessions of radiation and this nightmare should be over....
Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com

Carnation, WA

#17 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Love your photo of you and Maid together. I know you will many with Bliss at your side.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#18 Beach BCs

Beach BCs

Life's A Beach!

• Registered Users
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

Thinking only the best thoughts for you.
Kate

Georgia, Texas & Faith

#19 DeltaBluez Tess

DeltaBluez Tess

• Registered Users
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

Bliss and meAttached File  image.jpg   317.53K   40 downloads
Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com

Carnation, WA

#20 WildFlower

WildFlower

Sheep dog handler in training.

• Registered Users
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

I echo what Maja and many others have said far more eloquently than I could myself.

Healing thoughts to you.

Vicki

Border Collies: Devon, Teak, Jess, & Gus
Kitties: Merry Cat & Mr. Magoo

Chickens and Sheep

Forever in my heart: Daisy 3/6/2008 - 12/20/2015

"Live the life you love. Love the life you live."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.