BC Boards

puppy training

roanhorse

I am getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks and was wanting some training suggestions. In the past I have taught puppies down and sit with treats, to come when called, wait to leave their pen until given a release word, and to ride in the utv/pickup. Also socialization. Any other suggestions and good methods of puppy raising. I will probably keep him in a separate pen in the barn for a few weeks before moving him to his pen in the kennel. Thanks!

Considering that I spend more time in the barn than in the house, even on the days I work, quite a bit :-) And yes, I thought this was the working stockdogs section, I should have clarified. We run several sizes of calves and a few sheep as well. Thanks

Some people post general training questions on here by mistake. I wasn't sure.

I'll leave it to people who have raised pups to work to advise although I would say that I haven't needed to us treats anywhere near as much with my working bred pup as with any previous dogs. Life rewards seem to be enough with him - getting to do what he wants as a trade off for doing what I want.

I can't remember teaching him most of the things he does perfectly well. I may have done but not as consciously as with other dogs.

I like to bring a pup in the house - using an x-pen or crate, if needed - in part because I like him to get used to all the noise of a house: TV, telephone, blender, microwave, doors slamming, voices in different moods and tones, people moving around, etc. Plus I feel it gets him in tune with everyday things like how to correctly go in and out doors, how to avoid people's feet and so on. Can your pup also spend time indoors with you?

~ Gloria

• 8 months later...

I have a question on house training. I am using a bell on my door and my puppy knows to hit it when she has to do her business. But now she's ringing it as soon as she gets back in because she wants back out. How can I teach her to ring it for just going out to do her business?

For us, if the bell rings it's a potty trip, praise/reward, and back inside. We may go out again two minutes later without ringing the bell and stay out to play, but if the bell rings it always results in a quick, business-like potty trip. If she doesn't potty within a few minutes, we go back in and I keep an eye on her.

I teach all pups/dogs what mine is mine and what is your is mine - this enables them to learn early or first thing that I can take or have anything that they have. Some just need an AH or stern Leave it, some more - just depends on their disposition and personality. I start early with toys will take it from their mouth look at it give it back. It becomes just a part of the way things are. As they grow and mature they may try the run away from me game - I fix that with a long line and just reel them in, ask for what I wanted then give it back or replace it with I would rather them have. If they growl they get a stern correction and I take it for a longer period and do several give back and take sessions till they are releasing it well.

I feel that all work/ partnership inside the pasture is dependent on your relationship outside the pasture- inside the kennel, house, yard ect.. Something to keep in mind as your interacting with your pup. I try to not allow bad habits or activities begin that will not be good a year or 3 years down the road.

I also have learned how much better the pup will begin to work if you take them for walks into the pasture and around stock before they turn on. They will learn a good recall in the pasture before they are really wanting to work. They will get comfortable in and around stock, sights, smells ect. Then once they are wanting to work you can get right to it.

It is more about setting them up for success and allowing their instincts to come out rather than strict obedience. For the most part the only thing my pups know as far as 'commands' is a recall before going to stock

If a border collie I would not want them kenneled in the barn if they can watch stock from the kennel. They will be working stock in their heads and that is not good.